Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Arthurs Pass - any difference which direction we drive for scenery?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2009, 12:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are just in the middle to sorting out 4 weeks in New Zealand for March/April next year and have a rough itinerary taking shape. We will have a hire car for the entire time. I am wondering if the drive from Christchurch to Greymouth via Arthurs Pass is any different scenery wise from one direction or the other?

Would also like options on whether it is too far to go in one day Christchurch, Greymouth then onto Franz Joseph. My travel book says 6 hours and has several suggested itineraries doing just that so it seems doable. Thoughts please.

Many thanks.
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 01:25 AM

So far as the scenery is concerned, it doesn't really matter whether or not you go over Arthurs Pass from Christchurch or Greymouth, Maudie. Go whichever way best suits your itinerary.

It is certainly posible to go from Christchurch to Franz Josef in one day. Once you get over the Pass and head out towards the coast, you come to Kumara Junction, where you turn right to drive up to Greymouth. You then retrace the road from Greymouth back to Kumara Junction on the way down to Hokitika and then on to Franz. If you were prepared to miss Greymouth out and head straight on down to Hokitika and Franz, you would cut out a bit of your driving time.

If you have the time and can spend an extra day on the trip, I would suggest that you take a detour at Jacksons and go past lake Brunner to join the Grey valley at Stillwater, cross the river and drive down the north bank of the Grey and head out to Punakaiki for a night. This is about a three and a half hour drive from Christchurch -- say four hours allowing for a few stops and lunch. Next day, drive from Punakaiki down to Franz via Greymouth and Hokitika -- about three hours plus stops.
Rob.
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 02:15 AM
Original Poster

Hi kiwi_rob,

Great that's good to know, then we will fly into Christchurch and hit the road towards Greymouth. In your opinion is Greymouth worth a look? I have read a some reports and many don't rate the town too highly.

I do like the sound of the detour to Punakaiki though, funny that you mentioned Lake Brunner as I was just looking at it on the map. That sounds like a good plan,we would then have time to stop in at Greymouth if worth it or we could just spend more time exploring and doing some short walks on our way down to FJ.

Excellent info,Rob, thank you.
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 01:57 PM

At the risk of incurring the wrath of any Greymouth residents who may read this, Greymouth is not a place that I would suggest you plan to spend much time in. If you do the Punakaiki detour, unless you want to head straight through to Franz Josef the next morning (as you could do -- you can get to Franz by lunchtime quite easily) aim to stop at Hokitika for lunch and a look at some of their attractions (jade carving, etc) if that interests you. Otherwise, Hokitika is not a major destination either.
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 03:10 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Agree with rob that Greymouth certainly isn't a place to get excited about. We spent three nights there on one of our trips and found plenty to do, but most people just pass through.

We'd planned to do some cave rafting while we were there, but the water was just too darn cold. Instead we took a Monteith's brewery tour, and did some hiking near Blackball, a former coal and gold mining town about 25km north of Greymouth.

Greymouth makes a good lunch stop - we like Bonzai Pizzeria downtown (not sure if it's still there though).

When I think of Greymouth, I can't help but think of Sept 11, 2001, as that's where we were when it all happened.

Punakaiki however, is a great place to spend a few days. The village is basically a spot in the road, but there are some very nice walks and the scenery is lovely.
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies, I think we will head for Punakaiki as an overnighter then meander our way down to Franz Joseph the next day.
Allowing roughly 4 hours to get to Punakaiki sounds good for the first day, that will then give us a little time to stretch our legs on some of the walks then sit back with a nice cold bottle of wine and enjoy our first night in NZ.

Great info everyone, thank you.
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 04:32 PM

If you do get to Punakaki, do be sure to drive a bit further north up the coast road, at least another five kilometres or, perhaps, as far as the Fox River (there are caves that you can explore at the Fox, but they are a wee way off the road). The scenery is great, Truemans Track is worth the walk (about 10 minutes each way) and, about four and a half kilometres north of Punakaiki Village (just as you descend to the coast after driving on the higher ground above the sea), you will find the little bay where the Sam Neill film, Perfect Strangers, was shot.
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Rob,sounds perfect! Any suggestions for accommodation around that area, we are two couples. I was just looking at the caravan parks for a couple of cabins but there doesn't appear to be anything. Its either Westport or back to Greymouth.
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 09:03 PM

Hi, Maudie.
We have stayed at Hydrangea Cottages http://www.pancake-rocks.co.nz/cottage.html a couple of times. It has one unit, the Nikau Suite,that has two double bedrooms separated by a living area with a small kitchen and a shared bathroom. We find it ideal for two couples. It is just south of the Pancake Rocks and Blowholes. You can walk there in ten minutes. That would be worth a look.
Rob.
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 09:09 PM

Correction, Maudie. I think the Nikau Suite has one double room and one twin room. Toss a coin.
Rob.
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Original Poster

Looks good Rob, we take it in turns on who gets the double. Its always difficult to find accommodation for 2 couples sharing.

Thank you again for your brilliant ideas and suggestions - it's greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 11:40 PM

We enjoyed our stay at Te Puna Bush Haven, a self contained house - plenty of space for two couples.

http://www.reservenewzealand.co.nz/P..._ov=2837_.html

Some other nice walks in Punakaiki include the Cave Creek Track and the Pororari River Track. You can pick up a walking map in the DOC/Visitor's Center right there in Punakaiki.
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Hi Mel,

That also looks good but I can't get the link to their website to work - wondering if it is still in business. How long since you were there?

Also found this place that has an assortment of accommodation
www.tenikauretreat.co.nz/ so plenty of choices.

Thanks everyone.
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 10:23 PM

Maudie -

I had the same problem when I tried the link from several sites. I was there in August 2007.

At that time Te Puna was owned by the same people who own Flax Haven, and both houses were looked after by the owners the Rocks Homestay.

Flax Haven is still listed on the following site, but I don't see Te Puna. Maybe they sold it. The following sites list several options in Punakaiki though:

http://www.punakaiki.co.nz/accommodation.htm

http://www.holidayhouses.co.nz/Punakaiki.asp
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 01:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the other sites, have seen the first one but the second has so many choices, its a great find. Easy for me to see which ones have 2 beds and 2 baths.

Thanks heaps.