Reload this Page >

Staying in Manly or Coogee versus city center

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2000, 06:16 AM
mike raineri

We'll be in Sydney in January for the first time. How about staying in one of these area and using the ferry to reach the must see sites. Any reccomendations on places to stay? Thanks

Old Oct 28th, 2000, 03:59 PM
Peg

Mike, each time we holiday in Sydney, we always choose to stay at Manly. It is a great place to stay and a top beach. As well the ferry ride back and forth is spectacular. So much nicer than staying in the city centre. While in Sydney get a travel pass for the time you are there, this will cover ferries, trains and buses. It is worth the money for the hassle free travel exlporing all the interesting sites (sights).

Old Oct 29th, 2000, 01:04 PM
Matt

Manly is a good place to stay, but is a fairly long ferry or bus ride into town. <BR>Coogee is also a great spot. Excellent beach, loads of cafes/restaurants, a couple of good pubs and the coastal walk to Bondi is spectacular. The bus ride to town is about 20 mins or about 10 mins ($15) by taxi. Coogee has a Holiday Inn overlooking the beach and the Coogee Bay Hotel has good accommodation (but ask for the quiet section).

Old Oct 30th, 2000, 02:05 AM
joy

Either is fine but I much prefer Manly..more open,combines harbour and beach views and activities and although it may seem further out, it can actually be more convenient to the city than Coogee which is only serviced by buses and the traffic can be slow (although there are loads of buses running)The trip is of course not scenic like the harbour ferry ride. Ferries take 30 minutes and cost $5 while jetcats take 15 and cost $6.30......the weekly ticket referred to earlier is about $33 to include bus,train and ferry (not jetcat)and is highly recommended as you can use it for unlimited trips. At night, only the jetcats run, but at regular ferry prices...note that except for peak hours not many jetcats run during the weekdays. If you are exchanging the American dollar, these prices will be quite a bargain. Manly is very relaxed with several lovely beaches, many cafes and pubs, access to the northern beaches peninsula which is stunning, North Head national park for sandstone cliffs and harbour views and is the starting point for a 12 kilometre walk (which can be exited at several points along the way!)around the harbour foreshores to The Spit bridge at Mosman....really worthwhile...at times you can forget you are even in a city. Enjoy your stay.

Old Nov 28th, 2000, 08:08 PM
Michael

Mike, <BR>The answer to your question depends on what you intend doing whilest you are in Sydney. If you intend to spend time on the beach as much as sightseeing then the choice is a good one and Manly would be better as the transport is better - keep in mind that January isd our summer holiday season and both beach ares will be busy. However if you do not intend to spend time at the beach and intend to travel into the city either to sightsee or to connect to tours then really you should stay in the city or Darling Harbour to eliminate your travel time - and believe me a room overlooking Sydney Harbour in the city is the BEST view in the country.

Old Nov 30th, 2000, 11:25 AM
Andy

Mike: <BR> <BR>On my trips to Sydney, I've always stayed in the city centre, either Circular Quay or Darling Harbour. However, without a doubt, by favorite area to kick back in is Manly. I've gone to both Manly and Bondi, but I think the town is prettier and the beach nicer. Access is the most flexible there, as had been already stated. I usually hire a care at the airport when I arrive, as I perfer to be able to drive myself, but some Americans find the prospect of driving on the left too daunting. Sydney's public transport is great, so you won't have any trouble either way. <BR> <BR>Another nice feature of Manly that hasn't been mentioned is the Corso, a pedestrian mall area with lots of small shops (some a bit touristy) and some great take-out food for a casual lunch/dinner. <BR> <BR>Remember though, if you stay in the suburbs and plan to spend the day in the heart of the city, you'll be fighting commuter rush hour like the locals. <BR> <BR>E-mail me if you want any more information. Have fun!