Search

Stay in Nelson or Kaiteriteri?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2015, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stay in Nelson or Kaiteriteri?

Hello,

My husband and I will be spending 3 weeks in NZ. In one segment, we will be coming from Picton by coach after 2 days in Queen Charlotte's Sound, and on our way to Abel Tasman park. We are torn between staying 2 nights in Nelson and traveling by coach to meet the water taxi in Kaiteriteri (to do a 1-day Abel Tasman track) or going straight to Kaiteriteri (for 2 nights) and staying there. It seems like Nelson has more to offer in restaurants etc. but Kaiteriteri is very convenient to Abel Tasman and we wouldn't have to be pressured to catch the coach back to Nelson. We are torn between these two options and would appreciate any tips or suggestions?

Megan and Bob
California, USA
Old Nov 7th, 2015, 09:23 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Megan we spent 3 nights in Nelson, giving us 2 days, and spent one of them doing a day trip on the coach to Abel Tasman. if you stay in Nelson, the coach will pick you up early from you hotel and deliver you to the boat dock, then take you home again at the end of the day; if you stay in Kaiteriteri, you don't have to get up so early!

BTW it's not the coach departure than causes the time pressure, it's the boat timetable.

Where are you going after Abel Tasman?
Old Nov 7th, 2015, 09:48 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi Megan -

If it were me, I'd stay in Kaiteriteri. Not only is it a beautiful beach, but it's just a short drive from Motueka, where you'll find a nice selection of pubs, cafes and restaurants (but you will need a car). And it's near Little Kaiteriteri, another beautiful beach with a few walks on offer.

From Kaiteriteri there's lots to explore in the region, but to do so at your own pace and utmost flexibility, you will need your own transport.
Old Nov 7th, 2015, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your replies. See overall itinerary below (any suggestions appreciated). Given that we will have done the Milford Track earlier in the trip and will do a 2-day track in Queen Charlotte Sound, we are now considering relaxing for a few days in Wharekauhau (a splurge!) outside of Wellington instead of going to Abel Tasman. Any thoughts on this? We are worried about the road to get there from Wellington (after the ferry) and a helicopter is not in our budget. We are traveling March 27 - April 15, 2016:

Queenstown 3 days
Milford Track 5 days
Fox and Franz Joseph Graciers 2 days
Alpine Train to Christchurch - Stay Christchuch 2 days
Train to Picton and out to Queen Charlotte Sound 2 days
Either Abel Tasman or Wharekauhau 2 or 3 days
Auckland, Waitomo, Roturoa 2 or 3 days

Thanks,
Megan
Old Nov 7th, 2015, 11:24 AM

Megan - how are you getting from QT to Greymouth to catch the train to C/C?

if you're hiring a car, a more logical route might be to go straight from FJ/Fox to Abel Tasman, then Picton, Wellington, etc. but that would mean missing C/C.
Old Nov 7th, 2015, 11:43 AM

I'm also curious about your transport Megan. Are you relying on public transport for the entire trip?

Do be aware that Milford to the glaciers is a 601 km drive, about eight hours...without stops.

Wharekauhau looks very nice, but I can't place where it is exactly. Is your concern about the particular road, or about driving on the left in general?
Old Nov 7th, 2015, 11:49 AM

I take that back, I know where it is. It's near Featherston. The drive over the Rimutaka Range (Wellington’s own Takaka Hill) is very pretty, but busy with logging trucks.

It's not a difficult road by NZ standards, but crossing in foggy weather is, ahem, interesting.

There are beautiful views from the overlook at the top.

It's less than an hour's drive from Wellington as I recall.

Don't let the drive discourage you, it's all part of the adventure.
Old Nov 7th, 2015, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both again. Yes, we were trying to avoid the car rental as we are concerned about the other side of the road driving . We booked a Viatour tour to the glaciers from Queenstown, which does make some stops. Thanks for your encouragement about the driving being an adventure!
Old Nov 7th, 2015, 05:43 PM

Megan - don't fret about the other side of the road thing, you'll catch on pretty quickly. Just keep left
Old Nov 7th, 2015, 05:44 PM

And think about the money you'll save by doing it all on your own.
Old Nov 8th, 2015, 01:31 AM

I agree with Mel - the driving is fine so long as you don't try to do too much at a time. [Easy for me to say, we drive on the left at home in the UK, but when you rent a car in NZ the steering wheel is on the right so that helps with keeping yourself on the correct side of the road; we have often driven in France etc where they drive on the right and after an hour or so you'll find that it makes no difference].
Old Nov 8th, 2015, 07:06 AM

Wharekauhau is an hour beyond Featherston, so two hours from Wellington. There won't' be public transportation to it.
Old Nov 8th, 2015, 07:16 PM

Kaiteriteri is a lovely place to stay. You won't find the equivalent in Nelson. There is a restaurant/café there -Shoreline - and plenty more in Motueka.