South Thailand - Rain in July?

Dec 28th, 1997, 11:14 AM
Kelly

South Thailand - Rain in July?

Planning to honeymoon early July '98. Any advice on best area - Phuket, Krabi, or Samui? We have heard the rainy season begins in June. When it does rain, does it rain for days or just short downpours? Thanks for any advice!

Dec 29th, 1997, 12:36 AM
joelle

We went to Samui in August and had nine days of great weather. The weather is supposed to be better in Samui, compared with Phuket and Krabi, during summer months, but you can always experience some thunderstorms (tropical area!). The major problem in Phuket would be underwater currents because of the moonsoon which can make bathing dangerous on certain beaches. If you want great weather in July, 100 percent guaranteed, try Bali in Indonesia. You will occasionnally get some tropical showers and storms but the sky will mostly be blue.

Jan 4th, 1998, 09:12 AM
muriel barnett

Phuket, especially the Sheraton Grande Laguna Hotel, a totally self-contained property, is a marvelous place to honeymoon. It's on the west coast of Phuket and has its own swimming area, which should be negotiable in the summer months. It depends on what you want to do actually. There are complimentary watersports (little sailboats, etc.) at the Sheraton, and there is a complimentary launch to 4 other resorts (all accessible via the lagoon) where you may dine, spa or "sport" and put it all on your Sheraton bill if you wish.

If the west coast is not to your liking, you may daytrip on the east side, where there are great sun and/or snorkel trips to "James Bond Island" at a spectacular karst outcropping around Phang Nga or to offshore islands as Phi Phi Don and Ko Phi Phi.

The "best" part of the proposition is that Thailand is an incredibly good buy since the recent devaluations. The more expensive hotel properties have suddenly become affordable. I would book directly, or off the hotel chain website on the Internet. EVERYTHING IS NEGOTIABLE AT THIS TIME due to economic uncertainty: these properties are delighted to have guests because tourism in the region is down year over year.

Finally, Thailand is a beautiful destination, its people are friendly, artistic, gentle as well as being excellent cooks (however, the cuisine is very spicy). But, you must already have read most of these attributes of the nation in your guidebooks. This is merely a seconding of those notions.

Jan 6th, 1998, 07:36 PM
Kelly

Thank you both for the advice - I am very excited to visit. My only concern is still regarding the "monsoon" season, on which I have found varying reports. Can anyone tell me anymore about the amount and duration of rain in July? Thanks!

Jan 6th, 1998, 10:30 PM
Glen

Hello
I stayed on Phuket in July during the monsoon season and found the weather to be okay. You have to remember that Mother nature is still somewhat unpredictable! I found that the downpours of rain were usually heavy and short, once in the morning, once in the late afternoon and again at night. I still found enough dry time to sit beside the swimming pool and relax. Phuket is an interesting island and I would avoid Phuket Town which is kind of dirty and rundown. I hired a jeep for a few days and drove myself around the island which was great fun. You soon learn to drive like all the suicidal Thais who take some stupid chances in traffic! Do take the time to explore the island on your own, you would have a hard time getting lost. I stayed on Karon Beach which is a little more secluded than the touristy overdone areas of the island. Karon Beach is south of the main beaches. Do choose your hotel carefully as some of them are getting rundown now. Nearly all of them have maginificent swimming pools. During July quite a lot of the beaches are closed due to the adverse weather conditions. The water at the main tourist beaches is badly polluted anyhow. If you would like more info about Phuket in general let me know.

Apr 10th, 1998, 03:13 AM
Christine Jacquemin

Hi,
where to go in July, Samui is 90%25 safe reagrding the rain, and a nice place for a honeymoon yes, but Glenn is right too, Phuket is very quiet moreover at this time as everybody do not go because of the monsoon, it will rain for sure but maybe not so much just a pour in the morning and one at night, What is ure is that diving is not good at this time in Phuket. So if you really does not want a drop, go to Samui. If youwant to have a weather report you can have it in the report section of http://tiscoverasia.com
Have a nice trip

Apr 27th, 1998, 11:13 AM
Ron

Hi , read your opinion of Phuket with interest and
I would appreciate your help with my vacation plans . Our family are planning a trip in July , to the Laguna beach club , in your opinion is the weather o.k. for a family holiday and is the resort suitable for kids

Thanks

May 7th, 1998, 09:19 PM
jeff

Ron. Re Laguna Beach Club. I have several friends who take their families there EVERY year because it's such a good resort for kids. I'm sure it will be perfect.

May 8th, 1998, 09:32 PM
Larry Christenson

I used to live in Chumphon. I say visit. Quiet, out of the way. Not the 'tourist' highlight. Just right!