Smoking in Australia & NZ

Oct 6th, 2004, 02:53 AM
Original Poster

Smoking in Australia & NZ

As one of that dying (!) breed of smokers, are there restrictions in public places in Australia & NZ?

Many thanks
Oct 6th, 2004, 03:59 AM

Hi,
Don't know about NZ but yes there are in Australia & the restrictions are growing our 2 most famous beaches Manly & Bondi have banned smoking on the beach. No smoking on public transport. Restaurants have smoking & non-smoking areas mostly.
Oct 6th, 2004, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Trumps, as long as it's allowed outdoors at bars and reastaurants that's fine. Any New Zelanders want to join in?
Oct 6th, 2004, 12:39 PM

Yup. NZ has lots of restrictions. Pretty much everywhere public is smokefree except restaurants and bars which usually have a smoking section. Although apparently the law may ban that soon too.

But you'll always find a loyal bunch of smokers hangin around outside to hang with.
Oct 6th, 2004, 04:48 PM

Kateh - don't know what part of Australia you mean - smoking regulations vary from State to State. In North Queensland its still OK in outside open areas in SOME restaurants, defined areas in pub bars and soon to be totally banned in pubs and on beaches, although how they'll ever police the latter is beyond me.
Oct 7th, 2004, 03:08 PM

In Victoria you can't smoke inside restaurants or cafes - basically anywhere where food is being served, smoking only allowed if there's an outdoor area available. No smoking on public transport or in taxis.
Oct 7th, 2004, 05:11 PM

Quote: "As one of that dying (!) breed of smokers" .... you sure got THAT right Kateh !

Have you considered how much simpler it would be if you joined the overwhelming majority of us that don't feel an urge to shove carcinogenic substances down our lungs and, by default, expunging them into other's airspace ?

Just a thought
Oct 9th, 2004, 12:17 PM

Kateh - the Queensland Government in 2005 is introducing laws to ban smoking in all hotels, clubs, restaurants, etc, as well as beaches, and other buildings, etc
In regard to the hotels, clubs, and Restaurant....this will apply to the whole building, not just the dining areas. Some people up this way, think that hotel & clubs revolve around smokers, and that trade will suffer greatly, however, I disagree, and feel that many non smokers will return to their favourite licensed premises, once the smoke haze has lifted. It happened in Sydney, when smoking was banned "inside" Restaurants, people started to return.
I guess in 100 years, society is going to say, "How on earth, did we allow smoking in society at all"
P.S. I watched my uncle die from lung cancer (smoker), not a pretty sight at all, try & give it up.
Oct 9th, 2004, 04:57 PM

All that's very true troppo, but I do think smokers have a right to be made aware of the regulations in Australia, and the impending tougher anti-smoking laws in Queensland. Many of our overseas tourists smoke, particularly Japanese men and some Europeans. I was speaking to a woman from Spain recently, she spoke very little English, she said she would have never stayed in Sydney had she known she'd be expelled into a cold, windy city street to smoke, when she can enjoy a cig with her coffee in cafes in Spain. Queensland Minister of Tourism has shown concern about Queensland's new laws' affect on Asian and European tourism in the state.