Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Skyrail to Kuranda: Okay for someone afraid of heights?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2003, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're planning to visit Kuranda. Most say to take the train one way and the Skyrail the other. One family member, however, is afraid of heights and I'm wondering if he'll be able to board the Skyrail. Anyone have any experience with this? This family member was okay with the London Eye but is not okay with ski lifts.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 12:43 PM
ALF

Well, the SkyRail is a ski lift, although it is a fully-enclosed gondola with seats around the perimeter. It is not like a chairlift, where you look down at the ground. If you chose, you could look out laterally, and never have to look at the ground. I have never been on the London Eye, but it sure looks a lot scarier than the SkyRail. I would still take it at least one way, primarily because of the stops along the way that allow you to walk through the forest.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 01:50 PM

I am scared of heights and didn't take it. The train is great or if you don't mind a very up and down winding road you can rent a car. That way you can head to one of the beaches after and get good value for money. Works out cheaper but of course you don't get the great train ride. Visit the Aborigine 'village' too, it's near where the cable cars go from.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 04:17 PM
Bri

My husband and I, and another couple took the train up (which I loved, and the skyrail down(which I hated). The Skyrail is very very high. Across a river and up and down mountains. Most of the trip down I was trying to keep my eyes closed, or looking straight ahead. To be honest the other couple loved it.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

Hmmmm, it's sounding like my son would be very unhappy on that Skyrail. Maybe we'll take the train both ways.... <BR><BR>Thanks everyone for your advice. Any other thoughts on the Skyrail or the whole Kuranda experience, I'm all ears!
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 06:10 PM

I am afraid of heights but the skyrail didn't bother me a bit...I felt ok because it was fully enclosed--I don't like ski (chair) lifts either and it was ok.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 06:53 PM
LN

I have difficulty on a chair-lift and to be honest going up on the Skyrail I did look straight ahead but it was so smooth, and we were so enclosed, that I gradually relaxed and enjoyed the entire trip over the rainforest. You could consider having two of your groups go together on the train both ways (and it's a great trip) and the other 3 taking the Skyrail because the views are fantastic!!<BR><BR>Is the London Eye like going up into a very high elevator or space needle or Empire State Bldg?
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

No one in our family was scared at all by the London Eye. I'm not crazy about heights myself and I was totally fine. My son, who is very afraid of heights, actually loved the London Eye and chose to ride on it twice during our visit. You feel very secure and enclosed in a large capsule. There is room to sit or stand or even walk around in the capsule, so no danger of claustrophobia either. It is larger than a typical ski gondola or elevator. The ride is slow, smooth, and sedate. You almost don't feel that you are moving, but you gradually make your way around the circle. Photos of the London Eye make it look like it might be a scary experience, but the reality is much tamer.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 11:04 AM

I recommend taking the Skyrail up first and the train back.<BR><BR>Looking up you won't get the same feelling of height that you do when looking down.<BR><BR>You can see what the gondolas look like at the Skyrail web site.<BR> http://www.skyrail.com.au<BR><BR>
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 12:26 PM

Hi Miranda,<BR>Myself and my family have been on the London Eye and the Kuranda Skyrail.<BR>Now none of us are afraid of heights, but on Skyrail you are suspended in a Gondola as ALF said, but the view is horizontally for miles but downwards only the top of the Rainforest trees are visible.<BR>Whilst the London Eye as you know has lots of different things to focus on.<BR>I suppose the Train may be better depending upon the extent of the phobia, but it could be an opportunity to face up to the Phobia. The trip lasts about 10-15mins and there are rainforest stops along the way to get off for a break.And He could always close his eyes !<BR>It really would be a shame for you all to miss out on the Skyrail for the sake of a Phobia wouldn't it?<BR>The train is really quite boring and I don't think I could have faced another journey on it.<BR>Whilst the Skyrail is really the best part of the Kuranda tour IMHO.<BR>Anyway I think its better for you to decide at the Kuranda basestation what to do as you can see the lift from there.<BR>Another word of advice, don't bother with an organised trip, get there yourself and pay.<BR>That way you are not stuck in the tour operators timetable as we were. It was really anuisance going to oplaces we didn't really enjoy whilst we couldn't stay at the places we did enjoy for the sake of a ticket.<BR>Have Fun<BR><BR>Muck<BR>Wales<BR>UK