Situation at Ansett??

Sep 27th, 2001, 04:54 AM
nospam

Situation at Ansett??

Hi! Does anyone from down under know the latest??? Will they be resuming country-wide service at some point?? Thanks.

Sep 27th, 2001, 12:21 PM
Liz

Ansett will have some planes up this weekend and hopefully this will be the beginning of getting them all up and flying. The administrators are hoping to get it flying so that it will be more attractive to a prospective buyer ( one that will not bleed it dry this time as Air New Zealand did)

Sep 27th, 2001, 12:32 PM
Ansett

Ansett was bled dry by continued industrial action by the staff, and contually being prevented from flying by the government as a ploy to help the National airline (coincidence that both times were in peak Xmas/Easter seasons? Nothing is coincidence in this world...)
Fly Ansett? Never. Those staff don't deserve to work with their attitudes and continuous striking. Its time they learned what actions like that do to a company instead of thinking about their own selfish selves all the time.

Sep 27th, 2001, 12:57 PM
Liz

I have to answer the above poster. Air New Zealand has over the last few months fueled its own planes from the Ansett account which then incurred a debt to Ansett of over one Million$ PER DAY!!. It also did all its maintainance ( little though it was - maintainance that is) through Ansett and also took most of the parts owned by Ansett.
I won't back down from the comments about striking by Ansett staff because that too was a part of its downfall. However I and most Australians will be very surprised if the CEO of Air New Zealand ( who gave himself and his Management a large bonus recently ) will not have to face court procedings over their mismanagement of Ansett. They have most probably breached Company Laws of Australia by allowing an airline to continue to fly when insolvent.
Just to cap off this: Ansett was owned by Air New Zealand, the New Zealand Government and a small part by Singapore airlines.
The Government of Australia did not keep Ansett on the ground to help Qantas - the receivers kept Ansett on the ground because the New Zealand Government refused to pay its Ansett staff or take responsibility for their airline.
The fact that Australains will probably have to bale out Ansett sits badly with most of the nation because in the end it is the Tax payers of Australia who will pay for the inadequacies ( legal, management and monetary wise ) of the New Zealand Government and the Management of Air NZ.
Finally if any New Zealanders feel this is Kiwi bashing - well if the cap fits, then wear it!!

Sep 27th, 2001, 01:06 PM
Liz

PS:
Just one final word:
When Ansett was bought by Air New Zealand just over one year ago it had assetts of over one BILLION $ - it takes careful mismanagement to bankrupt an airline in that short time for that amount of money. You be the judge!

Sep 28th, 2001, 12:59 PM
Liz

UPDATE
Ansett flights have started again today and the Australian Government has guaranteed the tickets ( your money for tickets ) for the next few weeks.

Sep 28th, 2001, 02:10 PM
sonia

Hi

The situation with Ansett seems to change everyday! I thoroughly recommend checking out The Sydney Morning Herald's website www.smh.com.au for up to date info (as this is where us ozzies get the info we post here).

I read yesterday that Ansett is being propped upo by the Govt for now but might be relaunched as a no-frills airline at some point...

Sep 29th, 2001, 11:59 AM
Mary

ANsett is back in the air - but it's flying very limited services - only Sydney- Melbourne at the moment, maybe a few other routes next week. However - any existing tickets are not valid. You have to buy a new ticket.
It's basically been re-launched as a new airline - no frills, cheap flights. The Government has underwritten it for the next 3 months

Sep 30th, 2001, 01:12 PM
Ansett

Liz is a good example of why to travel to Australia... NOT!
Australia is full of friendly, christian, ungeneralising, unracist, kind people... NOT!
If the cap doesn't fit, don't try to wear it.

Sep 30th, 2001, 01:40 PM
Liz

Presumably [email protected] is a New Zealander who cannot accept the truth.
I am sorry if you are offended by my factual remarks about the administration of New Zealand's Ansett airlines but when you have people in your family who have worked since 1956 for Ansett and have just lost ALL their superannuation, pension entitlements, holiday entitlements and their job because of the mis-management of the airline and immoral activities like giving a $7 MILLION BONUS ( only 3 weeks ago) to the executives of the airline who ran it into the ground, you too may be a tad cross with both the administrators and the New Zealand Government for not honouring their legal and moral obligations to the staff - let alone the travelling public!
If you think that you can sit in NZ and rely on any support from the Australian travelling public when it comes to your airline you will be wrong. IF Air New Zealand survives this it will not be because of the skill of administration, it will be more because of luck.
Stating fact is not racist, is not generalizing, and is not unfriendly. IT IS FACT

Sep 30th, 2001, 05:03 PM
Ansett

A little defensive are we? Hiding something? Or just another disgruntled ex-striker? Or just another embarassed ex-convict.

Its true - Australians are damn easy to wind up. Isn't that right Liz the Diz?

Believe that I'm from NZ you'll believe anything!

Ha Ha Ha
Silly cow

Sep 30th, 2001, 05:18 PM
Jo

Liz,
Before you fire back with another angry retort, may I let you know that it is school holidays here in NZ.
You're probably giving some kids a good laugh.
Let it go. And stop sinking to their level.
This is a travel forum anyway, and not the correct place to vent your personal fustration (I am sure there are ample Australian newsgroup forums in which you can do this).

Sep 30th, 2001, 05:35 PM
Liz

Hi Jo
Yes you are absolutely right, it is school holidays and they are on the computers again I will try to remember that.
Personally I don't care two hoots what happens to Ansett what I do care about is that people have been conned and ripped off and that does not sit easy with me.
I have nothing to do with Ansett. I am a Qantas Frequent Flyer however I would like to see a free airline industry and not a monopoly because a monopoly is not in anyone's interest.
Regards
The Silly Cow

Sep 30th, 2001, 05:54 PM
Jo

Well as a kiwi, I'll give you our opinion of the whole thing. Sickened. That our national airline can get into so much trouble, without anything being done before the trouble got so bad. Sickened that our taxpayer money has to bail them out (not to mention that we are now being told that it would be unpatriotic to use the airpoints we earned by being patriotic) - either that, or we end up with no national carrier. And that's without even thinking about the Ansett issue.

Oct 7th, 2001, 11:36 PM
Janine

Ansett now honouring tickets booked and paid for by credit card before they stopped flying. But of course this only covers the routes they have resumed flights to.
People should be aware too that if Ansett don't sell enough seats on a flight to break even (something like 60% of capacity, I think??) they have simply cancelled the flights. So, even though govt is providing financial guarantee for 12-week period, this could upset travel plans.

I feel bitterly sorry for Ansett staff. I have stuck with this airline through thick and thin in the past due to personal allegiances, and although we must have competition in our skies, I am sorry to say there is no way this company will be seeing anything more of my hard-earned dollars!!