Singapore Suggestions

Jul 12th, 1997, 06:06 PM
Jeffrey Shelly

Singapore Suggestions

My wife and I will be enjoying three weeks in Singapore starting 9 August. We are in our mid to late twenties and enjoy really getting the flavor of the country, as well as shopping, dining, and cultural events.

Thank you for you help!

Jul 13th, 1997, 05:30 PM
Sharon

You must, of course, have a Singapore Sling at the Raffles Hotel where they are supposed to have been invented. You will pay too much (alcoholic beverages are quite expensive in Singapore); however, the hotel is beautiful and the experience is worth it. You should go to Chinatown and the very interesting Hindu Temple which is just around Chinatown. A trip up to Mt. Faber for a view out over Singapore is also one of those tourist requirements. If you want to eat inexpensively try the Hawker Food Centers or the Food Courts in just about every mall. Some are better then others. Here you will find stalls labeled Muslim Food, Malaysian Food, Cantonese, Japanese, etc (including burgers and KFC in some of them) and usually one booth selling delicious fresh juices. In the Food Court that is in the Mall attached to the Trader's Hotel is one large eatery that is a teppan table (ala Benihana) where we ate good food and lots of it for less than 7 Singapore dollars. You should also consider a day trip to Malaysia, we went to the Fishing Village of Kukup. Other people went to Sentosa Island (a big amusement park) and had a good time; however, I cannot comment personally on that one. My trip also included China, Hong Kong and Bangkok; so write me if I can answer any more questions.

Jul 22nd, 1997, 06:24 PM
Colin Chan

It is a pity that you would arrive on the 9th of August as it would be our National Day on the 9th and you might be able to catch the parade on TV and some amazing fireworks off the Singapore River.

There would also be an open air concert at the Botanic Gardens on the 10th at 6pm. Bring your favourite snacks and a bottle of champagne!

Singapore is hell of a nice place despite its dracoian reputution. I hope you two would enjoy yourselves! 8)

Jul 30th, 1997, 10:37 AM
Sanjoy Gupta

A few places my wife and I really enjoyed while we were in Sing last month.

1. There's a pub with a great band on the 4th floor of Tanglin Mall
2. Chijmes is a restored church with great restaurants and night life
3. Clark Quay has an interesting Flea Market on Sundays and the ubiquitous food hawkers as well.
4. The laser show at the fountain at night is the only real attraction at Sentosa.Apart from a wonderful Underwater World.
5. Dont return without gorging yourself on Pepper Crab anywhere you can find it

Jul 31st, 1997, 04:20 AM
Michael

Hope your 3 weeks of stay in Singapore will be a enjoyable one. But spread out your wings and travel up north to Johor and Malacca. It would indeed be a shame if you did not see the historical city of Malacca. Don't just spend you 3 weeks in Singapore. Nevertheless, have a brilliant holiday.
I myself is flying off to Singapore and Malaysia tomorrow.

Have a pleasant flight.

Michael

Aug 2nd, 1997, 06:51 PM
Peggy

hi,
u had chosen a good time to arrive.. Aug 9 is our National day.
There are lots to see & people-watch ... great time to absorb the
atmosphere. Try to get hold of the newspaper (The straits times) &
see what are the events on for the day & the TV program showing live braodcast
of the event.
Shopping - i recommend all over the place.. from Orchard Road to Chinatown to Little India to
Housing estates area... just buy a farecard & wander about.. bound to get good buys here & there.
It's easy to travel around town... but i suggest that u don;t spend 3 weeks here.. try to do short trips out of S'pore...
Malaysia , indonesia etc...
Get hold of a good travel guide book & u are all set..
Have a great trip... & welcome ...

Aug 6th, 1997, 04:29 AM
Tim

My wife and I have been living in Singapore for over 1 year. We are from NJ. Don't rush to Sentosa, it is something you do only if you run out of other things. Go to the Night Safari, we have been there twice. It is the only night time animal safari in the world. Chjimes is a nice place for dinner and drinks, it is a little bit of Europe in SG. Boat Quay / Clarke Quay are nice areas for food, drink, dance, people watching. Go only on Friday or Saturday night. Make sure you take the river taxi on the Singapore River between the two places. Take a ferry to either Bintan or Batam island in Indonesia, it is less than an hour. There are a few nice beaches and hotel resorts, golf, shopping, but rest of the island is very under developed. Take a train from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur in Malayasia. Plenty of shopping and eating in Singapore. At times that seems like the only thing there is to do here. Hope you have fun!

Sep 5th, 1997, 09:17 AM
irene

will be going to Singapore in early November..would like to know if anyone has suggestions for discount shopping...although i would like to shop on Orchid Road it is very pricey and too much like 5th avenue...was in Hong Kong and loved the markets, night and day...any markets like these in Singapore? thanks for your help...