Singapore accommodation

Apr 24th, 1998, 08:22 PM
kate

Singapore accommodation

My husband, two young daughters and I are thinking of breaking our journey to europe in singapore for one night but accommodation seems very expensive - any ideas for central location with pool (for kids!) and how much is a taxi or airport bus to downtown?
Thanks
kate

Apr 24th, 1998, 09:31 PM
Betty

Hi Kate. Singapore has lots of great hotels. My favourite is the Mandarin. Great location on Orchard Road - close to shops and subway. Yes, it has a swimming pool and the rooms, service etc are good. I have been to Singapore a few times and have found this the best location.Singapore is a very easy place to get around in. A taxi from the airport should be no more than 20 singapore dollars. Try and find time to take the kids to the zoo. It is beaut. Have a great time.

Apr 24th, 1998, 09:33 PM
peg

kate, if you go to the www website - travel.com.au - and click on accommodation you will find links where you can choose your price range and look for a place where children stay free. also i have found in the past the airline i am travelling with has special deals for stopovers in singapore, sometimes this is good value because it will include your transfers. If you have a chance catch the local bus out to the Zoo I am sure your girls will love it. Peg.

Apr 25th, 1998, 11:03 PM
Glen

Hello! The last few times I have been to Singapore I have stayed at the very nice Elizabeth Hotel located one block back from Orchard Road in a very classy and quiet neighbourhood. The hotel has a great swimming pool and restaurant. The hotel is only about 4 years old so is in good condition. I paid around $160 for a single room per night, which is cheap for a 5 Star hotel in Singapore! I was there in November so things can't have changed much. A taxi from Terminal 2 at Changi to the Elizabeth cost me S$20 with after hours surcharges. I would suggest a taxi because you'll get dropped off at your hotel door and it saves a lot of waiting around and hassels. If you have kids with you, you'll want to make everything as painless as possible?? Anyhow have a great time in Singapore. One other thing, duty free prices at Singapore Airport are generally cheaper than those in Australia at the moment, particularly watches! I got a Casio dive watch for S$46 the same one here in Perth duty free was $90! Have a great time.

May 3rd, 1998, 01:31 AM
Peggy

hi kate, if you don't want to spend too much on hotel charges, check out those hotels outside the Orchard road belt. Moderately-priced ones such as Concorde, King's Hotel , River Place Hotel, ANA are also well-equipped with swimming pools & other facilities. Trains (MRT) & buses are easy to travel around in S'pore. You can also travel by Airbus to the hotel from Changi Airport.. it's cheaper than taxis & it's a great way to see the place. Enjoy your stay ...