Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Silky Oaks overnight do we need tour of Daintree separately?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17th, 2003, 07:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If we are staying for one night at the Silky Oaks lodge do we need a separate trip, during our stay in Port Douglas, to the Daintree Rainforest or should we spend the PD time other ways and save the Daintree visit for our stay in Silky Oaks?
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 08:47 PM

You will be in the Daintree with a stay at Silky Oaks-the place is great-we had 3 nights there in May 2000 for my b'day. I would have 2 nts minimum and let S O organise a Daintree safari for you. The food was fabulous and the little cabins are so romantic!
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 08:44 AM

OH, you two have just made my morning...!! I've booked two nights at Silky Oaks for my big 4-0! Am counting days off.. Question: Lyndie, did you have any of the spa treatments while you stayed there and if so, what did you think of them?
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 12:09 PM

Hi Thyra
Cannot remember them having a spa salon when we there! We just hung in the pool, went for walks, read books and ate and drank all day. Request their best available cabin, ours was a front row one with a lovely little balcony-take a bottle of bubbly and soak up the experience of one of Australia's premier destinations. Enjoy yourself and happy b'day for then.
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Just to clarify we have only one night at Silky Oaks. So that is why we were asking the question about whether we should spend the time in PD on a rainforest trip or wait until we get to Sily Oaks.
If you have a comment regarding more nights at Silky Oaks or something unrelated to my original request, please start another post.
I keep getting excited when I see another message only to be disappointed that it is not directly related to my question. Hope you understand.
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 12:33 PM

Goodness Lord 2Seeds, sorry if you feel I've "hijacked" your posting (in several years on the forum never had anyone take that slant before).
Anyway, all of the information you want is readily availble on the P and O resorts web site. Furthermore, you can email the resort directly and they are happy to send out printed materials, including day/nature tours that are additional charges, but they cover a wide range of additional activies should you wish a more in depth vist of the rainforest and it's ecosystem. It's fairly apparent from the address of the resort that it is In fact, located inside of the rainforest itself.
I hope I am forgiven for stealing thunder from your post. Have a great trip.
http://www.silkyoakslodge.com.au/
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Tahnk you for your understanding. I really appreciate your help and suggestions sorry if you took my last message the wrong way, I just find these formus very useful and I want to get the best information that I can.
Thanks again, no hard feelings.
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 08:52 PM

Hi 2seeds. When you post here you get people's opinions and experiences. You don't own the thread. I apologise if I could not answer your question more specifically-I'm not a tour guide.
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Lyndie:
Sorry if you were personally offended by my request. I didn't expect you to be a tour guide. I am well aware of the reason for the posts and the fact that I don't "own" the thread however I was very interested in getting replies to my message since I have a limited amount of time to get my itinerary together. Again yet another reason for my wanting to post here so that I can gain understanding from the experiences that everyone has had. That to me is invaluable... So hopefully you can get over your being offended and try to continue giving helpful information even though you are not a tour guide...
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 02:11 PM

OK 2 seeds-I'm over it but feel I have to let you know that one night at Silky Oaks (if you have not yet finalised your itinerary) is not enough. It is right in the middle of the rainforest with the river running right past-you can sit out on the balcony of the main building and see birds, hear the water, feel the beauty of the place-pls reconsider (I'm not on commission!)and take at least a couple of nights to experience living amongst the rainforest-not just passing through on a tour-sorry but I had the most amazing time there and would not like to see or hear of anyone being disappointed because they were in too much of a hurry to follow the herd. Have agreat time whatever you do!
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 02:57 PM

Lyndie, I would love to post a reply saying how beautiful your last post was, but I certainly wouldn't want to in anyway promote the organic growth of this post to the dismay of its original poster, or contribute to the perversion of it's initial query. Ooopsss... what have I done???.,
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 06:22 PM

You are a very bad girl Thyra. Please don't you spend too much time having full body massages with hot rocks and rainwater showers and body wraps or you'll end up totally wasted! Have a ball, girl!!