Should we stay in Port Douglas or Palm Cove?

Dec 23rd, 2002, 07:55 AM
Alaina

Should we stay in Port Douglas or Palm Cove?

We're thinking of going to Australia next August for our honeymoon. Which is the best area to stay in? We're looking for things to do during the day and night, and the best hotels.. Thanks.

Dec 23rd, 2002, 11:27 AM
aussie

Without a doubt you should stay at Port Douglas.
Lots of cafe's & resorts.
Closest point to the reef & daintree tours.
Nightlife ... not sure... even if only one place is open its more than you will find at Palm Cove.
Palm Cove is very pretty but very very small. 5 minutes there & you will regret being there if you are after things to keep you very busy.
If you wanted to relaxe & read a book & do very little else.. Palm Cove is perfect.

Dec 23rd, 2002, 02:11 PM
xxxxxxx

Good advice. We have stayed in both places and there is definately more to do in Port Douglas.

Dec 23rd, 2002, 04:09 PM
Joyce15

We will be staying at the Hibiscus Apartments in Port Douglas in August.

Dec 28th, 2002, 12:25 AM
Rich

I probably have to agree, Palm Cove is the most beautiful, quite restful place to stay.There is a small shopping area and some nice restaurants and pubs.
The lifesaving club offers great food and drink at good prices and you get to meet the locals.
Ideal for me as I wanted to relax, chill do very little. I don't want things thrust upon me, But there is plenty to do in the surrounding area if you want it.
Of course there is Kuranda which is a little expensive if an organised trip better to go along and book your self.
The outback opal mine, Golf if you like it (I don't). There are trips by boat to the Reef,possible from Palm Cove.
(Don't bother with Green Island Its soooooo Tacky !!!!)
Or hire a car and get on the Cooke Highway it will lead to paradise in both directions.
If you want to do more thats fine, Port Douglas is busier but it is also reachable by car from Palm Cove.
Why not have the best of both worlds.

Good Luck and have fun

Rich
Wales UK

Dec 30th, 2002, 10:40 AM
Tilly

Palm Cove was on of the most beautiful places I have ever stayed. The Marriott there was very nice and also reasonably priced.

Feb 2nd, 2003, 11:50 AM

ttt