Shangri-la Resort

Oct 7th, 2004, 03:43 PM
vrp
Original Poster

Shangri-la Resort

I have just joined fodors and was wondering if anyone has stayed at Shangri-la Resort on Rarotongo and their thoughts on the place. My husband and I are in the initial planning stages for our 20th anniversary, Nov/05, and are looking at various types of accomodations.
Oct 10th, 2004, 10:09 PM

Have not stayed there, but stopped by and visited with the owner, Elliot Smith, author of "The Cook Islands Companion" - a now out of print, but still well-regarded travel book on the Cooks.

Decent place at a good price. Units appeared to be well constructed and clean. Location is pretty good. Near the activity of Muri Beach, but slightly secluded. Property is beachfront, but units are set back a ways from the water, so you don't really have a "water" view (or at least not too much of one).

All told, a pretty good choice.

Elliot posts answers to questions on Lonely Planet's "Thorn Tree" message board (http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/ca...s.cfm?catid=20), posting under the name of "Raro", where he is extremely informative and helpful.

Have a few photos of the place (interior shots of one of the units) posted on Webshots.com.

Ken
Oct 12th, 2004, 07:27 AM
vrp
Original Poster

Thank you Ken for the information. I really enjoyed the pictures on Webshot - such a beautiful place.

We are from Canada and certainly look at cost since our dollar is a factor. The Shangri-la Resort may just be the place.

We are hoping to spend 1 week on Rarotongo, perhaps 4 or 5 nights on Aitutaki, and use Hawaii as the stop over for a couple of days both ways.

Again Ken, many thanks.
Nov 27th, 2004, 07:04 PM

Congratulations!

We have not stayed at Shangri-La on Rarotongo, but can say unreservedly that we are always extremely satisfied with Shangri-La Hotels wherever they are.

Good Luck!

Nov 29th, 2004, 10:54 AM

Would agree with previous post. Shangri La set a very high standard.

If you go, join the Shangri la loyalty club (you can do this on-line) - it entitles you to free breakfasts whenever you stay (amongst a few other little extras)
Nov 29th, 2004, 01:31 PM

FYI - The Shangri-La resort on Rarotonga is not part of any chain and not associated with such but rather is a small, family-run independent resort.

Ken
Nov 30th, 2004, 11:00 AM

appologies I assumed (incorrectly) we were talking about their hotel in Fiji.

Agree with previous post