Sad day at Otago Peninsula Albatross Colony

Feb 18th, 2018, 08:38 PM
Original Poster

Sad day at Otago Peninsula Albatross Colony

Sharing a sad story. During what has been a far warmer than average summer, a parent albatross at the Otago Peninsula's Royal Albatross Colony has killed her own chick. The Dept. of Conservation notes this is an unusual event and that the albatrosses have been under more stress due to the warm temperatures.
https://www.odt.co.nz/news/dunedin/s...-killed-mother

This was the chick three days before its death (healthy and being cared for by both parents):
Today the albatross webcam focused on its empty nest:
Royal cam: Royal albatross/toroa
Feb 18th, 2018, 10:23 PM

That's a shame. What beautiful birds they are and the chick is so cute. Climate change is having such an impact on wildlife. There are 1000's of crickets invading houses in some parts of NZ because all the rain lately. I wonder what sort of environment will be left for our grandchildren.
Feb 18th, 2018, 10:43 PM

Oh no - that is so tragic. That poor mother will grieve her lost baby. I’m so sorry thst we humans bring this awful situation to innocent animals & birds.
Feb 18th, 2018, 10:52 PM
Original Poster

I agree, climate change is taking a terrible toll on NZ's wildlife. To make matters worse, researchers found adult albatrosses feeding small bits of plastic to their chicks because of plastic ocean pollution.

A few months ago, I attended a talk on tuataras and the lecturer said in the warmer climate tuataras produce only male offspring. This is from DOC's website: "Tuatara are far more sensitive to temperature than other reptiles. Just one degree change means the difference between a boy or a girl. At 21C, all of the young born are females, whereas a one degree rise to 22C means all of the young are male. Scientists have found that some tuatara populations have very skewed sex ratios with many more males than females. They suspect this could be because of rising temperatures and are concerned that global warming could potentially cause the extinction of tuatara. Once a population has too many more males than females, not enough young can be produced to replace old animals that die and extinction is inevitable."
I hope this sole surviving species of a group of animals that roamed the earth 200 million years ago doesn't end up being wiped out in our lifetimes,
Feb 18th, 2018, 10:58 PM
Original Poster

Tasmangirl, I read about that cricket invasion. Down south we'd had more wasps and they're impacting native insects.
Feb 19th, 2018, 10:04 PM

Oh no! I love tuatara - being the only living creature of the genus Sphenodon on earth now. My son was animal mad when little and we visited the Ti Point Reptile Park once and the park keeper let us stroke the tuatara. It was warmer and softer than I thought being a reptile.
There's a great book out there "Ghosts of Godwana" about the unique animals of New Zealand. Written by George someone (uni professor) but very readable.
Feb 20th, 2018, 01:04 AM
Original Poster

Tasmangirl, thanks for the heads-up. If I ever make it to Leigh, I'll have to check out Ti Point Reptile Park. Its website looks fantastic and NZ's reptiles are truly unique—tuataras, skinks, geckos, and frogs. For instance, all of NZ's geckos and all but one of its skink species give birth to live young.

I have that book, "Ghosts of Gondwana"! (by George Gibbs) It's a classic, though parts of it go over my head. The talk I attended was given by Alison Cree, who wrote a huge book (584 pages) about tuatara. She's from the North Island but is now a University of Otago professor. You can read about her book here: https://www.odt.co.nz/lifestyle/maga...-tale-tell-all

That does surprise me that a tuatara feels soft. I expected they'd feel like rough and bumpy dried-out leather. (I doubt I'll ever get to touch one.) I agree, they're incredible.
Feb 20th, 2018, 10:27 AM

It's a little treasure of a place maybe a little rundown but the kids never notice! The are doing a great job with the wildlife they have there. I'd love to read Alison's book so will look out for it.
Add Tiritiri Matangi to your list when you make it up to Auckland.
Feb 20th, 2018, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

I've been to Tiritiri Matangi a couple of times, with one being a two night stay. What a treat! I think I could spend months exploring greater Auckland's treasures. Tawharanui Open Sanctuary is another local treasure on my wish list.