Reload this Page >

Rydges Reef Resort/Apartment in Port Douglas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 01:59 PM
Amanda

Has anyone stayed at the Rydges Reef Resort in Port Douglas? We have two teenagers and are considering either that resort or an apartment some of which include Freestyle Apartments, Hibiscus Gardens and Metro Suites. The price is right on these places, so if anyone has stayed at any of these places or any other apartments/resorts (because there are SO MANY that look great) please advise us. Thanks.

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 03:02 PM
Matt

Haven't stayed at the Rydges Reef Resport, but if I remember correctly, its a good bit out of town, which is a big minus. I have stayed at Hibiscus Gardens, and it was excellent, especially as its comparitively cheap. Its not right on the beach, but is only a couple of minutes walk. Its laso very handy to the town centre and the Marina.

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 05:57 PM
John

Amanda:<BR>Haven't stayed at the Rydges ReefResort in Port Douglas. However, have stayed at the Rydges Hotels in Cairns, Sydney(Wentworth), Melbourne, Alice Springs, Auckland, Queenstown, Rotorua and Christchurch. The last time was last November. I have always found them to be quite friendly and most accommodating. Great rates too. Recommend them highly. Found them at www.rydges.com.<BR>Be sure to visit the Kuranda Rain Forest.<BR>John

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 11:41 AM
Atina

I have stayed at Rydges Reef Resort - in the 3 bedroom "deluxe" apartment in April 2001. I loved our trip and despite this list below, had a great time, but I probably won't stay there again.<BR>- Confirmed early check-in twice before we arrived, yet still had to sit in the open-air lobby for three hours once we got there.<BR>- Air conditioned only in the bedrooms.<BR>- Hot water supply was only enough for one shower.<BR>- Apartments were old, little run-down and had lot of bugs.<BR>- One tv, in living room, which got 3 channels.<BR><BR>It was a little far out of town, near The Rainforest Habitat. It was not walking distance to toen, but we had a rental car, so the 5 min drive was no problem.<BR><BR>Please feel free to email me directly if you have any other questions - we loved Port Douglas - you will have a great time.

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 02:30 AM
Kay

Hi Amanda, <BR>We just got back from Port Douglas and my choice would be to go for something in town. Rydges is too far out, you would have to drive in to eat etc. Freestyle and Metro are both on the main road which could be noisy but Hibiscus is in a quieter area, about 5 min walk to town and the beach. Port Douglas is laid back, tropical and wonderful! We really enjoyed our time there. (Other places that looked good and were very central were Driftwood Mantaray and Martinique, both on Macrossan St but not above shops and restaurants, as some of the apartments are.) <BR>Kay

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 02:43 AM
Amanda

Kay, <BR>Thanks so much for the information. It was extremely helpful. May I ask where you stayed in Port Douglas? Also, we were researching some more and found Cayman Villas which looked beautiful, new, and were 5 star apartments. Do you know anything about them? Thanks again. <BR>Amanda

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 11:30 PM
Kay

Amanda, <BR>I remembered the name but had to look it up to see the address. I think it's on the corner of the main road and a side street, quite central. It looked nice, but then, they all do! Another place we walked past which looked lovely and was in a quiet street was the White House. All the tropical plants have grown a lot since the photos and it looks very green and inviting. Not sure about the star rating. <BR>We stayed at the Port Douglas Queenslander which was in a great position for walking into town, the marina and also the beach. We had a one bedroom apartment, it's 3 and a half star. It was OK, wouldn't rave over it. <BR>Hope that helps. <BR>Kay