Rotorua Lodging and Hangi feast

Mar 1st, 2004, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Rotorua Lodging and Hangi feast

ok...kinda have it narrowed down--

Ann's Volcanic (claim free guest laundry)
Birchwood Spa
Sequoia-Acacia (free guest laundry)

We will be nearing the end of our first week in NZ and then spending a week in the Melbourne area so we will need CLEAN CLOTHES!!! I don't think I can afford to buy more clothes or carry any bigger suitcases!

Has anyone stayed at any of these locations and can comment?

The rates are a good at around $90 NZ/night for a queen bed and kitchenette. We will be spending 2 nights in Rotorua.

Can anyone explain what the food tastes like/consists of at the Hangi meal for the Maori shows? I married a picky eater and I am low-carb! I would love to see the show etc....but they don't have a no food option that I can find.
Mar 1st, 2004, 09:56 AM
ALF

We went to a Maori hangi at Rotorua, and there was quite a variety of food. My recollection is that there were various meats baked in an underground hangi oven, so that should satisfy a low-carb person. The vegetables were tasty, mostly being potato or potato-like roots (Kumara - a sort of sweet potato) and pumpkin. Dessert was a steamed pudding. We brought a picky eater (my daughter), and she seemed happy enough.
Mar 1st, 2004, 07:15 PM

Here's another suggestion for a night out in Rotorua. We've just returned from NZ and had a very pleasant evening at the Skyline restaurant. The cost of $48 Aust. included the gondala up to the restaurant and a very good quality buffet dinner which included grilled salmon, steak etc. As well as this, the cost included tickets for the gondala on the following day to see the view by daylight as well as at night.
Mar 1st, 2004, 07:17 PM

Sorry Alise, should have also said that we stayed at the Ascot Motel in Fenton Street. Short walk to shops, restaurants etc. Our unit cost $120 NZ per night and consisted of sitting room, kitchenette, bathroom, separate bedroom and private courtyard with hot tub. The laundry was not free but they offered to do our washing for $5.
Mar 2nd, 2004, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

We have plans to do the luge, gondola etc one evening....the buffet sounds nice but to spend that kind of $ on food for me is a waste....

I recently had weight loss surgery and can only eat about 3/4 cup of food at a meal...I expect to be able to eat more than that by August but no more than 2 cups if that. If I were at home I wouldn't feel so bad because I can bring home the leftovers--but that isn't really an option while on the road and living out of suitcases! Another reason why I am not too interested in the Hangi! I hate to waste so much food! While I am losing my dogs are getting fatter!

I will check out the Ascot! Thanks

Mar 3rd, 2004, 06:49 AM

I stayed at Ann's Volcanic and it was fine. Nothing fancy but she was lovely and I"m sure she can help you out with the laundry situation. I was in Rotorua on the 3rd day of my trip so I didn't need to do laundry then. Also, I went to a Hangi with Tamaki Brothers and it was great!! The food was really good..I remember having chicken.
Mar 3rd, 2004, 10:54 AM

Alise:

We went to the "Matariki Maori" Hangi meal/show (next door to the Novotel)(http://www.rotoruanz.com/rotoruanz/p...ail.asp?ID=422), both the food & show were great.

Z
Mar 18th, 2004, 07:46 AM

Have just recently returned from February vacation on North Island. The matariki and hangi next door to the Novotel is very good. Talented performers and good food. The Novotel is a satisfactory hotel with laundry available to guests. There are so many restaurants in the area you will have no problem finding something. If it is still warm enough, take a side trip to Blue Lake a short drive from Rotorua. Beautiful site for a swim and picnic. Stop by the Maori Arts and Crafts Institute in Roturua. Kind of touristy, but wonderful geysers and bubbling mud pits. Stop for a few moments there and watch the crafters and carvers.
Mar 31st, 2004, 01:59 PM

I stayed at Ann's Volcanic for several nights a couple of years ago.

While it is nothing fancy - it's set up more like a motor lodge - it was clean and cheerful, with nice touches like photos she has taken on the walls and magazines left on the coffee table for you to read. I believe all of her units have a kitchenette. Our unit was more like a little apartment - we had a bedroom, another queen bed outside, a sitting area with a couch, a small dining area and a hot tub on the patio.

The guest laundry is free, but there is only one washer and one dryer. We did not have any problems being able to do our wash when we wanted to, though.

Ann lives on the property with her sons and is very charming and friendly. The property is located off the main drag, so it is quiet. I would absolutely recommend Ann's Volcanic to you.