Search

Rotorua location

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2007, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rotorua location

Is there anywhere in the Rotorua area where you can stay where there is no (or very little) sulfur smell? Are there areas (notels and motels) where it is particularly bad?

Thank you,

Dennis
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 06:15 PM

Hi Dennis

The smell isn't that overpowering - just distinctly "Rotorua" and you get used to it very quickly.

I wouldn't worry about choosing accommodation based on this factor.

nzers
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 09:33 AM

My friend and I had two very different experiences in Rotorua. I thought the odor was fine, and didn't even notice it after a while, however, my friend is allergic to sulfur, and after our 2 days in Rotorua, she was very sick and couldn't talk for days. Of course, she is a trooper and didn't let this impede our travels, but it was bad for a while. I think as long as you are not allergic, you should be fine.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 06:48 AM
Jed

We stayed at the Warminster B&B which was in the hills northwest above town. We didn't have any problem with the small.

I think that was a good area since it was away from the geothermal areas.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 04:38 PM

We just returned from NZ and spent almost a week in Rotorua. We stayed at the Novotel and no one even smelled the sulphur except for one night. Not a problem at all. We enjoyed the area.
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 11:02 PM

Hi Dennis
Over recent times the smell has lessened enormously, I was there at Christmas and did not take much notice of it except along the shores of Lake Rotorua. If you stay along Fenton St away from the lake, it should be okay or as the previous poster suggested just outside of town.
Have a nice time.
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 07:42 PM

We stayed at the Lake Plaza three years ago and didn't particularly notice the sulfur smell.

Lee Ann
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 12:29 PM

We actually had a hard time finding a room in Rotorua because we ended up there on a school holiday weekend and the weekend of a huge antique car swap meet (we actually ended up going - it was fun!). Anyway, we ended up at the Princes Gate Hotel and I didn't notice much in the line of a smell. We had our window open all night because I couldn't figure out how to adjust the heat and weren't bothered at all - and I have asthma.
Old May 1st, 2007, 01:29 AM

Hi Dennis the Menace
The unique parfume of Rotorua tends to be rather variable and really there is no guarantee that you will be able to avoid it. Inhale deeply and enjoy - its not that bad and is all part of the experience ! Having said all that we regularly stay at the Millenium and have never been over powered. Maybe Im just used to it ?