Please critique itinerary so far

Jan 28th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

Please critique itinerary so far

House swapping for one month, staying in Napier/Hastings. Only have the NI done and all comments are welcome. Mid-April to Mid-May--in our early 60's and youthful.

To Auckland for 4 days 3 nights and will do following? Devenport-look around,Auckland Museum,Auckland Zoo (wasn't sure), Victoria Park Market,
Skytower at 5:30pm to see sun and darkness and have buffet. A full day taking the Excitor to The Bay of Islands, Mt. Eden. Is Rangitoto worth visiting. How about Coromandel? We are flexible and can up the stay in Auckland. On our way back to Napier though we would stay a night in Rotorua, however, I see mixed reviews. I would like to see the Maori Village and do the Thermal Baths at Hells Gate., Please all comments on these, worth it? Where to stay if not Rotoura.
Thanks, Jane
Jan 29th, 2009, 02:16 PM

Rotorua is fine; we spent a night there and enjoyed ourselves.

If you like, you can see some of our Rotorua pictures at
community.webshots.com/user/ElendilPickle

Lee Ann
Jan 30th, 2009, 09:41 AM

Re: Rotorua ... I think the "mixed" reviews are because the town itself is nothing special (although we did enjoy walking on the path around the lake -- where there was quite a bit of geothermal activity and pretty scenery).

But ... IMO the sights around Rotorua should not be missed. We absolutely LOVED Waimangu Volcanic Park. It was magnificent, unearthly scenery -- a long, but very easy walk. Also enjoyed attending a Maori Hangi and the Sheep Show in Rotorua.

When we return, we plan on 2 more nights in Rotorua to see some of the other geothermal parks -- so that should tell you how we felt about it. I would have a very different opinion if I did nothing but stay in the heart of the town.
Jan 30th, 2009, 09:48 AM

and re: Auckland ... sorry, but I thought it was the least interesting place of all the wonderful places I visited in NZ. Just a "generic big city." I wouldn't bother for more than 1 or 2 days -- except to use it as a base for the Bay of Islands. But then, why not stay at the Bay of Islands?
Jan 30th, 2009, 11:16 AM

Auckland felt a little overwhelming to us, but we were at the end of our trip and hadn't been in a large city in several days. I would like to give it a second chance one of these days.

You asked about Waitomo on your other thread; we spent a night there and thought it was really interesting. We did a blackwater rafting trip with The Original Blackwater Rafting Company. This involved walking through a cave to the underground river and tubing to the other end. It was tons of fun, and the glowworms are lovely.

That evening we went back to that area and walked a path that led us to a bunch more glowworms.

Lee Ann