Rethinking my itinerary...help!

Feb 15th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Original Poster

Rethinking my itinerary...help!

I am leaving for Australia in 3 weeks (yay!) for almost a month...and am not quite sure how to fill a gap in my itinerary for the Perth portion:

Sydney: Mar.6-11 (includes 1 day/overnight in Blue Mountains)

Perth: March 11-26 (visiting friends)
* March 11-13: Perth
* March 13-16: Margaret River/Valley of the Giants
* March 17-18: Perth (Rottnest island, etc)
* March 18-24: I was originally planning to do a 5 day bus tour to Exmouth (Ningaloo Reef), but am rethinking this as this will only leave me with 3 full days in Perth,and I've been told it's a long hot trip of nothing!
* March 24-26: Perth

March 26-28: Melbourne
March 28-30: Sydney
March: Return home!

My question is...I really want to do some snorkelling on my trip, and I'm thinking that would only happen on Rottnest Island if I don't go to Ningaloo Reef (I looked for flights and nothing until $600 AUD unfortunately). I would consider GBR, but there's also high risk of bad weather and I'd need to change my already booked flights.

Ideas?
Feb 16th, 2009, 12:17 AM

Without the cost you'll have for changing flights to or from Perth I'd suggest you could use extra time on
. day or so longer on Rottnest for snorkelling. http://www.rottnestisland.com/en/Att...ng/default.htm
. Swimming with some dolphins etc. http://www.dolphins.com.au/
. Extend your SW time to include Esperance and some of Australias greatest beaches http://www.westernxposure.com.au/our...rance--88.aspx

The other alternative would be to take a hit on the flight change costs and a risk on weather up in Queensland and/or see more of the east coast where you can also swim with dolphins in Port Phillip Bay or at Forster/Tuncurry on mid NSW coast.

There'll be a good chance that you'll find somewhere to see the GBR without weather being too bad and flying first to Brisbane for instance, there are pretty good 4 day packages for Lady Elliot and Fraser Islands - http://www.ladyelliot.com.au/ and look under booking.
Then up the road a bit further you can access Lady Musgrave Island from 1770 via Bundaberg - http://www.spiritof1770.com.au/ and then you have Rockhampton, the Whitsundays , Townsville or Cairns region.
Feb 16th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

How good is snorkelling at Rottnest? I really don't want to miss out and settle for some *decent* snorkelling...

Also worried about being bored in Perth if I stay this long...guess I could spend 2 days at Rottnest. What other side trips would be interesting? Pinnacles?
Feb 16th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Bushranger...I can't extend Margaret River SW part, as I'm going with my friends and they can't take too much time off.

Will consider swimming with dolphins, sounds good. Not sure I'll consider GBR, just seems too far/expensive at this point.
Feb 16th, 2009, 01:23 PM

It's a shame you cannot extend the SW trip but how about you see how the timing is for being down that way with your friends and whether you could pick up the last three days or something of a tour while your friends head back to Perth.
I'm sure they'll understand [Aussies are like that] and if they have a tour not fully booked you might be able to get part at a discount to full price.

It's been a while since I was over to WA and Rottnest and the GBR it ain't but still quite some water life and I think they may have a snoekelling trail and if you've ever thought of doing a SCUBA course, not a bad place to consider doing it and there's a few wrecks about, could be a glass bottom boat that does trips out over those too.

There's cycling tracks and a good way to get about and you might even be lucky to see whales from the ocean side lookout.

I haven't been to the Pinnacles and not sure what there is to do other than have a look about but if you can combine it with a stop at Lancelin on way back and even stop there a night or two you might be able to try out some sand wind buggying or even wind surfing if you think you might be into that. There's also diving up there and a lookout, it being season for whales about December to March I think.

Fremantle is an area that you could kill a couple of days or more just moseying about, there being a place, maybe old fremantle jail that was featured on one of the Great Race series episodes where they had to find their way around this water filled caverns type area.

Talking of caverns, if the thought of caving interests you, ask the friends what they know or could find out about caving over there for I saw a tele show a while back which wasn't about caving per se but this guy was talking about how a lot of Perths water supply is artesian and the show featured a cave where the guy was indicating what water levels had been and were now.

And seeing as you could have a bit of time, if you want to learn to surf, Perth beaches would also be not too bad a place and reckon there'd be a couple of surf schools.
Feb 16th, 2009, 07:11 PM

I personally do not think that snorkling at Rottnest would be exciting in any way at all. I don't even think that Rottnest itself is worth a day either for that matter. There are many other places in Australia that are better for snorkling.
Feb 16th, 2009, 07:39 PM

Author: LizzyF
Date: 02/16/2009, 11:11 pm
I personally do not think that snorkling at Rottnest would be exciting in any way at all. I don't even think that Rottnest itself is worth a day either for that matter. There are many other places in Australia that are better for snorkling.
No doubt Liz that there are better spots for snorkelling, though not too many with wrecks.

And then have you read of Celine's situation in that she has flights already booked to WA and is looking for activities as an alternative to initial itinerary.

Changing flights no doubt will run to some expense as will then the alternative of heading to somewhere Queensland way.
Feb 18th, 2009, 07:05 PM

While I agree with Lizzy that Rottnest is seriously overrated as a tourist venue, the diving and snorkelling there can be very good. Rotto is basically a limestone reef. There are caves and coral reefs everywhere.

Celine, if you do decide to stay in Perth for snorkelling, there are a couple of other options that you could add to Rotto. The Shoalwater Islands at Rockingham (less than 1 hour south of Perth) have a few interesting sites. On a good day you'll see seals while snorkelling there. There's also a touristy penguin colony nearby.

There are also some good snorkelling spots scattered among the northern suburban beaches (less than 30 minutes from the city), around Trigg, Sorrento and Marmion. I remember one called Mettams (sp?) Pool but there are also others.

So if you do stay in Perth to snorkel, don't feel that Rotto is your only option. Having said that, Ningaloo is superb. Unless you're planning on coming back again some time soon, I'd spend the money and do Ningaloo.
Feb 21st, 2009, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

ugh, ok I will do my best to get to Ningaloo! Does anyone other than Skywest fly there?
Feb 21st, 2009, 02:50 PM

Suppose you have to be something of an island person to appreciate one, but then we all over here do kind of live on islands, Oz being more than one including Tasmania also for Lizzie.

I think Skywest is the only air service option for Exmouth/Ningaloo - http://www.exmouthdiving.com.au/english/whereis.htm

Search this Thread