Reload this Page >

Rajasthan & Palace on Wheels

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 1997, 02:33 PM
Bob Walker

Would appreciate hearing from anyone who has been on the Palace on Wheels. Have numerous questions. Thanks.

Old Oct 23rd, 1997, 10:46 PM
Marguerite Mark

Bob, I'm going on the Royal Orient Train in November. It is the original Palace on Wheels but does a slightly different route although it also goes to Jaipur and Udaipur. The cost is less but still expensive. Can let you know how that was mid November -from photos both trains make you feel like you're back in the days of the rajahs.

Old Nov 4th, 1997, 07:36 PM
Bob Walker

Thanks for your reply. I would be most interested to hear about your experiences in India on your return. Have you been before ?

You are right indeed that the Palace on Wheels is expensive - it has been a bit frustrating not being able to locate anyone on the net who has been on the trip but we are hoping for the best.

Good luck and have a safe and enjoyable trip.

Old Nov 13th, 1997, 05:07 PM
Gail Zanger

We are going on the Palace on Wheels December 17 to the 24, we will be home Dec. 27. Feel free to email me on or about that time for our feedback. The only info. I found on the web was a recent article of the ten best train trips, on the Conde Naste London web page. I booked it as it had a great write up in the Knopf guide, and it avoids time wasted at airports. We are also going to Nepal for 3 days, and two days in Varnasi. Love to travel as independently as possible. Always looking foward to our next trip.
Gail in Ct., USA

Old Nov 30th, 1997, 08:49 AM
Rick Green

I was looking into this myself as part of a wider India trip I was hoping to embark on in Feb. '98. I didn't find much either, but there was a decent description and contact details in the Rough Guide India book.

I would appreciate hearing of your experiences when you return. I don't know if I can swing the trip when planned, but would love to do it sometime, perhaps in time for the Pushkar Mela.

Rick.

Old Dec 12th, 1997, 04:55 PM
Antonio Almeida

I've just arrived from a trip on the PoW. E-mail me for any questions you might have.

Old Dec 27th, 1997, 06:27 AM
gail zanger

We just returned from our adventurous journey on the Palace on Wheels. If you forget the exorbitant cost, the sightseeing is excellent. The food on the train is barely acceptable, and by American standards it is not for the timid. I recommend it for the well travelled. Also this December was record cold in India. Do realize that even the train does not run on time. The compartment is small, not for the larger person, and your cabin attendants do try to pamper you. If you request you can have tea, and breakfast (eggs and toast) brought to your cabin. I do think you could avoid the train and hire a mercedes and driver to get you to most destinations, however the itinerary would be somewhat difficult to arrange unless you had been there before. Jaipur was closed due to riots, so we missed the pink city. A reminder, India is not for the faint hearted and make sure any internal flights before or after your trip on the train are confirmed, as even if they are you can still have problems.In India it takes 2 hours to do something we can do here in 5 minutes. Nepal was a wonderful side trip, well worth 3 days, and after the train arrange a trip to a beach area as the train is exhausting. It would be nice if the government would take some of the money it makes on the train and reinvest it into the train. The unfortunate thing is India is not a tourist oriented destination, and the concept of tourism being good for the ecomony eludes them. Happy travelling, gail

Old Jul 3rd, 2000, 12:22 PM
R. S. SOHAL

Go thru these sites for more information on POW and rajasthan <BR>http://palaceonwheels.com/information.html <BR>http://www.rajasthan-tourism.com/rajtourism/ <BR>http://www.rajasthandiary.com/ <BR>