Search

Rain in March, New Zealand

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2006, 09:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rain in March, New Zealand

We'll have 3 weeks in NZ (both islands) and very happy with our itinerary, but wanting to pack as light as possible. Starting the 4th of March in Chch., driving down to Queenstown/Arrowtown, then 2 nights in Te Anau, daytrip to Milford Sound, fly back to ChCh, 2 days in Akaroa, bus to Kaikoura, train to Picton, drive to Abel Tasmen (and back), eventually ferry to Wellington, drive to Napier, on to Taupo, Rotorua and on to Auckland and leave on March 26th. Given that we are not hiking overnight(but maybe some day hikes) how much energy/money should we put into rain gear? Just rain-resistant jackets, or are we going to be miserable on Milford Sound without fully water-repellant outfits? And, are the mosquitos everywhere, or just in the "Sound" area? (One of us is very juicy, apparently.) Thanks, all, for your experienced advice.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 03:11 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
We're avid NZ fans and have been several times at different times of the year. On each occasion, we've gotten by with a fleece jacket and a waterproof jacket (such as Gortex) that fits over the fleece. We're also day hikers, walking 3-5 hours at a time.

Are you taking a cruise in Milford, or actually walking the track? If you're just taking a cruise, fleece and a waterproof layer should be fine. If you're walking, that could be a different story.

No, the sandflies aren't everywhere (thank God), but we've encountered them on every trip into Milford Sound. We've also experienced lots of sandflies on the Dart Track and on the Heapy Track (from the Karamea side), but once we got away from the beach on these tracks, the sandflies disappeared.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 07:09 AM

we were on south island in march for 3 wks and visited many of the areas you mention. we did fine as previous poster said with fleece and the ems/rei type breathable rain shell over it - which I find a good item to have in my closet anyway for all seasons wherever you are or travel and they fold up into a very small square for easy packing.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 07:19 AM

also, you couldn't separate me from my light weight, quick drying pants that zip off above knee and turn into shorts!
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 11:11 AM

We just returned from NZ with a very similar itinerary and I didn't get bitten once by the sandflies, but my sister-in-law and son were devoured. Be sure to put repellent on whether you see them or not. Long pants are a good idea, but we wore capris/jeans the entire time for comfort and repellent on the ankles & arms was imperative. Also don't leave your car door open if you stop along the way for a picnic lunch - we made the mistake and the gnats, sandflies, midges, mosquitos, whatever they were were swarming inside the car. Everyone ended up with bites and they swell if you're at all allergic.
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to fallrats, escargot and Melnq8! That information is exactly what we need in order to help us keep to our goal of one small bag a piece for this trip. We also love our "convertibles" (pants that zip down to shorts). Shoes are the big issue now. From what I've seen on this site, it seems that most everything is casual. So, if we have our hiking boots and don't plan to "dine" at any fancy hotels, do you think we could get by with just another pair of athletic shoes? Given all the info about mosquitos and sand flies and rain, it doesn't seem that sandals are a good choice. (I must add that we are not spring chickens.) Your input is really invaluable - thanks again.
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 08:23 AM

Greenjeans, you've had good advice so far. I do find that you need a second pair of shoes (lightweight slipons are okay). The first pair often need time to dry out! It's nice not to be clunking around all the time. I have found that "trail runners" are better than that white athletic shoe-type. They dry faster and don't show the mud.
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 09:28 AM

hmmm...shoes... well all I can tell you is what I had. I had my light weight hiking ankle high 'hiking' sneaker/shoes (which there were times got wet and I stuffed with newspaper overnight to dry out quicker) and a pair of light weight slip ons as suggested that can also dry quickly.(they were good for me when doing things like kayaking near Tasman, light hike thru woods to walk along ocean, etc) I did have a pair of thin flats (no heel, almost clog type slip ons) that packed flat and personally I sometimes liked having them for car rides or dinner or for a change a day we were doing light walking in town, but not hiking. But you can get away without, as it is casual there and many people (my husband and son included) only brought their light hiking boots and a pair of slip on type merrills.
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 02:22 PM

Ditto on the shoes. I took a hiking/walking pair of Merrills (husband had Vasque) A pair of Aerosole black slip-ons and you might throw in a rubber thong. My white tennis shoe was kind of useless.
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 03:54 PM

If we ever go to NZ again we will definitely bring waterproof pants. We got SOAKED a few days! Especially in Milford Sound and on the Otago Peninsula. Our North Face waterproof jackets were amazing but we actually could wring water out of our "workout-style" pants.
Liz