Question about the "Build Up"

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2015, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just beginning to plan our 5+ week trip to Australia/NZ (first time both) and hoping I can get some clarity on the weather. We start in Darwin and I was hoping to spend a week or so in the Top End. However, I just read something about the period called "The Build Up" between dry and wet seasons, Fodors guidebook says it is to be avoided. We arrive around Oct 15 (in my ignorance, I got the tickets to Darwin thinking it wouldn't be too too hot. ). Can anyone help with a bit more detail on the typical weather during that time? would it make sense to go to The Kimberley instead or skip the Top End entirely?
Old Feb 25th, 2015, 07:37 AM

You should be fine. You're arriving at the beginning of the wet season, so warm and humid but not intolerable.

Have a great time.
Old Feb 25th, 2015, 02:53 PM

I have visited both Darwin and Broome many times in the build up (family there). The weather is hot and humid and everyone talks about the approaching rain-"when will it come" but I still would go there at that time. It gives a different perspective of the area and you need to do the usual eg hat , carry water, seek shade as much as possible .
The Kimberley will be the same. This year Kimberley has hardly had any rain whereas Darwin has.
Given all this -its not my fav time to go there -June to September being better but do go as you are here at that time . Its an experience.
Old Feb 25th, 2015, 07:03 PM

Depends on your tolerance to heat . By standards of most of the USA and Europe it will be HOT. We travelled to the Kimberly and Darwin in August 1997 and even then we had hot days. We visited North Queensland in Nov 2012 and found temps over 100F in places. Friends of ours visited Darwin late last September and found the heat overly oppressive. They regretted going there then.

Be warned.
Old Feb 25th, 2015, 11:39 PM

I have been to Kimberleys in July and it's been too cold to swim and camping we had blankets at night.
Mostly temps are like many areas of Asia - Thailand, Bali and if you want to see them it's mostly humid and hot.
Old Feb 26th, 2015, 02:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your replies....what about nighttime...does it cool off? We spend much of the year in the British West Indies so we understand heat and know how to avoid it during the most intense daytime period (although that is less likely as a "tourist").
Old Feb 26th, 2015, 04:50 PM

Closer to the coast it is more humid and it does not cool off at night as quickly as drier areas inland, say Alice Springs.
Old Feb 26th, 2015, 11:32 PM

Just did a quick look at Bureau of Meteorology site and on 15 October 2014 temps in Darwin high of 34 low 22 , 9.4 mm rain (only 3 days rain in the month) ; Alice Springs high 26.2 , low 7.8 (no rain the whole month); Broome high 39.1, low 22.8 (no rain) .