Search

Queensland islands

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2001, 06:20 PM
Alan

Queensland islands

My wife and I will be visiting the Cairns area for about 9 days at the beginning of October. We intend to split the visit roughly 4 nights on an island and 4 nights at/near Cape tribulation/Daintree Rain Forest.We are both divers and keen hikers (but at different times!) although we enjoy our creature comforts in between. We had in mind somewhere along the lines of Lizard or Orpheus Islands: only one operation on an island appeals. Suggestions would be very handy as there may well be similar places which are not so well advertised. <BR> <BR>Choices for the rain forest seem to be pretty limited but if there are any strong views I would be delighted to hear them. <BR> <BR>Thanks in advance....

Old May 23rd, 2001, 02:41 AM
Kay

Hi Alan, <BR>I had friends from the UK stay at Bloomfield Lodge, I think the only way in is to fly or by boat. They loved it. It's north of the Daintree. I'm sure they'd have a website but if you can't find anything I can try and dig out an old brochure for you. <BR>Kay

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 07:10 AM
Brenda

Definatly stay at Bloomfield. It is owned by the guy who runs and owns the travel company Trailfinders in the UK. The place is brillant, run by an very nice couple who will do anything for you. The food is wonderful and the bar is run on an honour systme, ie you choose what you want write it doen and settle up at the end of the week. They do run days out, but the nicest thing is just to relax by the pool, or wnader down to one of the beaches. Trailfinders are on the web, just type in Trailfinders.

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 09:42 AM
CarMatters

Yes, get beyond the sealed road and head up the Bloomfield track. However, if you are driving yourself, you do need the proper vehicle and regular rental cars don't let you go (you won't want to- the difference between sealed and unsealed is night and day.<BR><BR>We had a great meal at the Silky Oaks Lodge which is before the Daintree River in Mossman- great food and gorgeous setting overlooking the jungle- in fact, we saw more wildlife at lunch than we did the rest of the time in the Daintree.<BR><BR>Have fun.

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 09:20 PM
sonia

Hi<BR><BR>Also consider daintree Eco Lodge, Silky Oaks Resort, Coconut Beach rainforest Resort.<BR><BR>sonia

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 10:28 PM
marg

Here's the Bloomfield Lodge website - www.bloomfieldlodge.com.au