Price of car fuel in Au and Nz

Old Nov 29th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Price of car fuel in Au and Nz

I would like to know current car fuel prices in Australia and NZ North Island. I plan to travel in Western Australia, Victoria, NSW, Queensland and NZ North Island. I would like to improve my trip cost estimate. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

ZfromWinnipeg
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 08:24 PM

Its different everywhere:
The way to work it out is - convert from US galls into Imperial gallons first then divide into litres x by local cost which you should be able to get by doing a google search on the area. Most people do not realize that our equiv. of a gallon is larger than the US gall.
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 08:25 PM

PS: Whatever it works out to though is about 10 times what we would like it to be and probably 3 times what it really should be.
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 08:31 PM

In Newcastle and Sydney, NSW, it's around $A1.10 to $A1.20 a litre. When you spend $30 at a Woolworth's Supermarket, you get a docket for 4cents a LITRE off. (3.6Litres to the gallon, I think? ) In country areas, it is dearer, and also dearer at weekends.
The auto club site www.mynrma.com.au
in the travel section, may be of help with maps etc and planning. You have a very long trip in mind!

Have been to Winnipeg, and loved it!
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 10:34 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Granted, this isn't current, but gas was $1.29 – 1.50 per liter in WA (Perth, Albany, Margaret River, Pemberton) when we visited in July. The highest gas price we encountered was in Margaret River, but it dropped significantly about 5-10 kms out of town.
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 02:15 AM

Z, obviously you don't need to worry about those pesky US gallons - just the exchange rate, currently about AU$1 = CA$0.90. If you work on AU$1.20 or CA$1.08 per litre that should be OK for budgetary purposes.

Sorry, don't know what the going rate in NZ is - hopefully one of our Kiwi cousins will chime in.
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 07:24 AM

ZfromWinnipeg:

For what help this might be:

I have a Camry station wagon and I use 10 Litres per 100 km. You should do as well with a rental in New Zealand, perhaps better. City poorer, highway better fuel economy.

AA web site in New Zealand will give you km [and travel time] between many cities and towns so you can get a grip on your costs once you know the price of petrol per litre. Find them on Google.

I wouldn't mind knowing the cost per litre petrolin NZ$ myself.

How is your winter? I escaped Winnipeg 47 years ago. You have my sympahy.

Have a good trip in Australia/New Zealand.

Woodie.
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Winnipeg is cold in the winter, but it's dry cold, you dress for it and it feels very comfortable. Today it's -16 C, we have 6 inches of snow, sunny and very beautiful. I prefer dry warm climates in the winter, but my second choice is dry cold winters like we have in Winnipeg.
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 03:00 PM

The price of petrol in NZ is approximately $1.40 per litre of regular, $1.46 for high grade those numbers are NZ dollars. Most rentals run on regular. Pick a day and it is a different price.

Diesel is around $1.00 per litre. Some campervans run on diesel.

If you head out to the backblocks expect to pay around 5 cents per litre more.

If you shop at Woolworths, Foodtown or Countdown supermarkets you get a voucher for four cents per litre off at Shell and Gull stations.

If you shop at New World and Pak'n'Save supermarkets you get a voucher for four cents off at BP stations.

There are minimum purchase requirements at the supermarkets to qualify for these discounts though.

I hope this helps.

Old Nov 30th, 2006, 08:06 PM

Have a look at www.travelmate.com.au - this is a good website for travelling in Australia and contains some fuel price information.
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Found fuel prices for Australia on NRMA web site. Lowest 1.11, highest 1.30, average 1.19 per liter.
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 08:28 AM

Hello Kiwi_acct:

re: ZfromWinnipeg

Many thanks for the price of fuel in NZ.

We will be driving Christchurch to Invercargil [via the Catlins] and then through Arrowtown, along the east coast to Nelson. From there to the ferry and on to Auckland. I have the kilometres and travel times for this route so I will be able to get an idea of fuel cost, aside from our daily roaming.

In fact, the cost of internal travel is well worth the stops we will be making in your beautiful country.

I can hardly wait for our departure. Thanks again for the information.

Woodie
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 02:31 PM

Hi Woodie

You cetrtainly have a fair bit of travel planned. The roads you are travelling on are, in the main, very good. Not a great deal of traffic about and certainly good scenery to be had.

I take it you meant head up the "WEST" coast vs the East coast in your post above. As you will of course already have travelled down the East coast from ChCh to Invercargill.

When you are on the West coast (If I interpretted the post correctly) do not be tempted to cruise along with the gas tank near empty. Take the opportunity to gas up when you can as there are stretches of the coast where gas stations are few and far between. The west coast is also where the fuel prices are slightly higher due to remoteness.
Old Dec 7th, 2006, 06:54 AM

For Kiwi_acct:

Yes, I expect to do some driving but distance is relative. I live in Edmonton, Western Canada and sometimes drive to my home town in Winnipeg which is about 1400 km. I drive it in two days. Of course much of that travel is over flat and straight country.

I have driven in New Zealand three times by now. My main problem is that the wipers come on when I activate the turn signal!

We will be in your beautiful country for 9 weeks so the driving will more or less be spread over that time period.

The longest stretch of driving will be from Wellington to Auckland. I am thinking of stopping for four days at Lake Taupo and would look for a quiet cottage in this area.

Our air line tickets arrived yesterday and we are getting more excited day by day.

Thanks for your help re fuel prices. Nice to know but in no way would the price of fuel stop me from snooping those sites of interest.

Thanks.

Woodie
Old Dec 7th, 2006, 09:02 AM

It's about $2.60USD/gal. Check the link...

http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lis...ces/price.html

Old Dec 7th, 2006, 11:08 AM

behender, the poster is Canadian. Canadians use litres, and they pay in Canadian dollars. As per my earlier post, all ZfromWinnipeg needs is the CA$:AU$ exchange rate - US$ and US gallons are an irrelevance.
Old Dec 7th, 2006, 03:52 PM

The most comprehensive web site for fuel prices in Oz is here:
http://www.exploroz.com/OntheRoad/Fu...es/Default.asp
Cheers, Mike
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 08:21 AM

I just came across www.pricewatch.co.nz which gives a guide to gas prices in NZ
Roma