Present for Australia bound college student

Old Nov 15th, 1999, 05:47 PM
Susan

Present for Australia bound college student

Hi - Any suggestions for a present to get my 20 year old neice who will be leaving for a semester in Australia. What would a college girl from the states like to have that is useful in the "land down under"? Thanks

Old Nov 16th, 1999, 04:01 AM
Mary Ann

It really does not matter whether its Australia or Europe, it is what activities they are planning to do. Our 21 year old daughter did a semester in Germany and her favorite treasure was her sleeping bag. They took alot of trips where they stayed in Hostels and she loved it because she felt secure in her own bedding (it was down and compressed by a compression sack that made it very small). Her back pack was second since she used it also. Smaller items, first aid stuff, shout spots, also came in handy. A toileteries bag that could hang was also useful. Find out what she is doing, living with a family or in a dorm, traveling outback areas, going to the barrier reef where the rubber bottom shoes could be helpful.

Old Nov 16th, 1999, 04:19 AM
Mary Ann

Forgot to mention a diary or travel journal. With this she can record all her adventures when they are fresh. Of course, even if she has a good camera, a disposable panoramic may be good. Fuji and Kodak make them, kmart is a good source. Hope these help!

Old Nov 16th, 1999, 07:05 AM
kristi

I can't think of anything that she might need while she's there unless she has a favorite nonperishable food that she might not be able to get in Australia. A journal is an excellent idea as is a panoramic and/or underwater camera.

I just put together a flight survival bag for a good friend (the trip from Chicago takes 20-24 hours by the time you land)including snacks, things to keep her busy (Australian fiction, puzzles), toiletries, etc.

Old Nov 19th, 1999, 08:49 AM
danni

A great useful present if she is taking small electricals like a hairdyer would be a plug/socket adapter with a currency converter, remembering that voltage in Australia is 240V not 110V as in the US.