Possible date changes AU trip

Old Oct 17th, 2003, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible date changes AU trip

Dear Fodorites,

You have all previously commented on our proposed itinerary for next spring. In doing some more reading I am concerned that we may be arriving in mainland N Queensland too early for dry weather and are thinking of coming a week or 2 later. I am sure this has some reprecussions weatherwise ( and maybe school holidaywise) on other portions of our trip. Your comments on these alternatives would be appreciated:

Current
April13-18 Sydney and Blue Mtns
19-23 Tasmania
24-27 Whitsundays
28- May 3 N. Queensland
May 4-8 Litchfield, , Katherine,
Kakadu NP's
9-13 Kings Cyn, Olgas, Uluru
May 14 depart Sydney PM for home

Alt . 1 Start itinerary April 20

Alt 2 Start itinerary April 27 (Would allow me to attend a conference)

Thanks for your help

AndrewDavid

Old Oct 18th, 2003, 05:57 PM

A/D

Delaying your trip to april 27 would get you away from the easter school holidays and the anzac day break.

I would think it is impossible to say that there is a significant weather difference between those dates.The risk of poor weather is about the same on both timeframes.
Old Oct 19th, 2003, 07:41 PM

I agree with Johj_au about the weather -- you're only talking about two weeks, and that' just too narrow a time frame to predict whether or not you will get rain! There's more than just the Queensland weather at stake here, and, if it were me, I would take the earlier of those dates, as, regardless of the school holidays, Sydney is a nice place to be at Easter (lots of special activities, particularly the Royal Easter Show out at the Olympic site at Homebush Bay), and Australia generally is better in April than in May!
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Dear Alan and Johnj,

Thanks for your feedback. We'll probably stick w/ our original dates. As the bulk of our school hols overlap is in Sydney, I don't think that will be too bad as its a big city, w/ lots going on we'll just need to book/plan things ahead. Although probably no last minute deals on hotels.

Hope we get good weather for our outdoor activities in the Daintree/Cape Trib/Atherton Tablelands part of our adventures. I understand weather out on the reef is not as wet.

I've just finished reading Roff Smith's " Cold Beer and Crocodiles". Although I crisscrossed the UK and France on my bicycle in my 20's and 30's, I don't think my 55 year old body can do 16,000 km. How was the book received in AU?

Again thanks fr your ongoing advise and encouragement.

AndrewDavid
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 09:00 PM

Ran across Cold Beer and Crocs at the library...a good read

Much more flattering than that erstwhile Time writer and expat Robert Hughes.

Didn't get much publicity here...probably because it was published in the usa...the book business here is dominated by the uk publishers..somewhat limited range and scandalous prices..but at least the spelling is correct.

Other good reads in that "outback" genre are
Tracks
Songlines
Coopers Creek
A Town Like Alice.

Recently read a book called "Guns,Germs and Steel"...had a very interesting chapter on australia
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 07:40 PM
Original Poster

Johnj
Do you mean Sydney Harbour as opposed to Sydney Harbor?
AndrewDavid

Ps "Return to Courain" was televised here so I read that from the library.
Bill Bryson's take is also sunnier on AU than his expat writing during the 80's about his homeland: "The Lost Continent" I'm not sure which way he spells.
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 04:35 PM

It sounds horribly parochial but I use the extent of "yank spelling and pronunciation" as an indicator of the progress of us cultural imperialism here in oz. Some might see it as our movement towards the "51st" state.

So words like harbour I like to see spelt (by australians ) in the english way I like to hear words like progress and territory pronounced the "correct way"

I cannot stand Jill Kerr Conway...I wish the Road from Coorain was a one way street.I wish she had stayed forever in that womens school in new england.She has a big chip on her shoulder after being rejected from the australian diplomatic service in the 50's.

I have just returned from a trip to outback nsw...went by the area where Coorain was.I reckon outback nsw is better value than the red centre.

I enjoy Bryson (and also Theroux).
I was disapointed to read Brysons scathing treatment of the game of cricket in his oz book when he had lived in Yorkshire for many years.
Old Nov 7th, 2003, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Johnj.
If you want to read really scathing Bryson check out his writing about his own country in "The Lost Continent".

What's Australian TV like; has it been americanized? The only thing I've every seen is someone"s pirated copy ogf an ancient series about Arthur Upfield's detective Napoleon Bonaparte.

I like watching italian TV when I am there. Great indigineous soap operas for listening practice. The only good thing about Berlousconi owning all the TV stations is you get to hear the same news repeated on all the stations at different times. After the fifth time even I can understand it

AndrewDavid
Old Nov 7th, 2003, 08:11 PM

You should only have minor difficulty understanding the language on oz tv!

It tends to be a mix of usa and uk sourced shows.

Pay tv or (cable) is heavily usa based.

Commercial "free to air" tv is us based also...some formats are revamped for the oz market.

SBS (multicultural channel) and ABC (australian broadcasting commission) imho are better quality with some uk bias.Although a little leftish their current affairs and news are good.If you watch PBS then you will prefer ABC.

Although I read it daily the SMH (sydney morning herald) is not the quality broadsheet it purports to be.
"The Australian" is the better broadsheet in oz.

Must read lost continent...perhaps he wrote it before leaving to live in the UK??