Poseidon vs. Quicksmart?

Aug 12th, 2002, 11:44 AM
Patrice

Poseidon vs. Quicksmart?

Hi,

I am undecided between which operator to take for a snorkelling trip in November. I have narrowed it down to Poseidon or Quicksmart. Does anyone have any comments on which is better?

Thanks!

Aug 12th, 2002, 12:08 PM
Mina

Hello Patrice:

So you're not planning an intro scuba dive? Just snorkeling? Wavelength has been highly recommended here for just snorkeling (a site that is good for snorkeling doesn't mean it's great for diving, and vice versa). You can do a search here for "wavelength" for some reviews.

That being said, I took both boats when I was there in November 2001. I posted a trip report, and I hope you don't mind I'm pasting my review of them here.

"As far the the QuickSmart/Poseidon comparison...I liked the QuickSmart better for a couple of reasons.

A.) The boat is a bit nicer (and seems just a tad bigger), with comfier seats that aren't vinyl.

B.) Food is better, especialy morning and afternoon tea. QuickSmart served what is best described is pizza in the morning (Breads with cheese, tomatoes, and other toppings)...which was great for the diver who didn't eat breakfast. Poseidon just had tea and biscuits (cookies). Lunch was excellent on both boats. Afternoon tea, QuickSmart had cakes, cheeses, nuts, crackers, dried fruit. Poseidon had a couple kinds of cakes out.

C.)I had a better Divemaster on the QuickSmart. Dives (and other kinds of tours) are often made or broken by the guide, and you never know what kind of guide you're going to get. My guide on the QuickSmart was very funny, but less knowledgeable on the names of the fish than the guide on the Poseidon. However, when I went back to the QuickSmart another day, I had the same guide...but he was far more subdued (maybe he had a rough night partying). Same guy, different personality...so you never know."

I've heard that the Quicksilver operation is not Australia owned, and Poseidon is. I don't know if that matters to you or not. It would certainly be nice to put money back into the Australian coffers.

I will say that the poseidon staff seemed more knowledgeable (at least on the days that I went). They had a midday session on their top deck educating us on types of coral, etc. However, my guide on the poseidon must have been bored that day. Because he started messing around with his coworker, trying to steal her regulator. He also shot down a small opening in the coral. Some of us weren't experienced enough to dive straight down headfirst. I tried to get down the hole (I had no idea where we were) and ended up getting coral poisoning! That left a slightly bad taste in my mouth, but I'm sure not all the guides on the Poseidon would do such a thing! (we were supposed to be "certified" after all).

I did like the equipment on the Quicksilver a bit better for diving. The BCD's were the ones I used back home, so I was more comfortable with them.

They're both good boats, so enjoy!

Aug 13th, 2002, 03:22 PM
Patrice

Hi Mina,

Thanks for the detailed info. No, we're not going to dive, just snorkel. I have read about Wavelength, but am worried that I would get sea sick on their boat since it is smaller.

Patrice

Aug 13th, 2002, 03:59 PM
Mina

Hi Patrice...hopefully the conditions will be nice when you go out. But these tours have some kind of magic pill. I went out on one rough day, and no one got sick after taking whatever they gave us.

But Poseidon has an upper deck which may help you. Staying inside the boat definitely made me more queasy.

I'm not sure how small the Wavelength boat is...but let me tell you, when the water wants to rock you, it's going to rock you, no matter if the boat is a bigger boat like Quicksmart or not!

Aug 13th, 2002, 05:19 PM
Caro

Hi there,
Wavelength vessels are randal westcoasters and are used off the Western Ausrtalian Coast for fishing in open ocean. They work in 6 metre seas. They are very stable and safe. At around 18 metres I wouldnt say they were small.
Poseidon and Quicksmart are both catamarans. Because they travel to high impact reefs they travel in a side on or Beam swell. not the best for seasickness. Wavelength due to the small numbers go to low impact pristine reefs like Opal Reef. Straight off the coast of Port Douglas. The action is more a dolhining movemnet and much kinder on the stomach.
All boats provide sea sickness tablets. I would recommend the sea band wristlets which work on acupressure principles.
Cheers
Caro

Aug 15th, 2002, 11:54 AM
Patrice

Hi,

Thanks for the information. I think I'll try Wavelength.

Do you have any recommendations if I wanted to also take a trip to the low isles?

Thanks!