Port Stephen and Sydney Stuffs

Jan 31st, 2004, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Port Stephen and Sydney Stuffs

This is my first time travelling free and easy to Sydney, i have some queries and hope that someone can help me.

Besides going to the blue mountains and the caves, I am interested in watching the dolphins at port stephen. How can i get there from the city area in Sydney? I am looking at staying at the Carlton Crest Hotel which seems to be near the central railway.

As this hotel doesn't seem to be along the 'explorer' routes, i am assuming that there would be buses available to bring me to the station? I know that the last trip for the explorer bus ends at 5:20pm, but what about the 'normal' buses. What time is their last trip? I am hoping to see the opera house during the sunset, how can i get back to my hotel after that? (what time does the sun usually sets there?)

i see someone mentioning buying a daily travel pass for $15. Is this the best way to travel? i am looking at a 5-day stay in sydney. (includes 1-day @ blue mountains, 1-day @ Jonalan caves, 1-day @ port stephen and the other 2-days around the city area) So, do i buy the travel pass for all 5 days?

I am sorry if these questions sounds too stupid or trival, but this is my first time out by myself and i hope to get as much information as possible so that i won't panic there.

Thanx so much for reading this.
Jan 31st, 2004, 08:39 AM

>>>>>>I am hoping to see the opera house during the sunset, how can i get back to my hotel after that? (what time does the sun usually sets there?)<<<<<<

Hi Jazy,

Just to put this into context for other posters who may be able to answer your question, I saw from a previous post of yours that you will be in Sydney in early June.
Jan 31st, 2004, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

thanx Judy, but that post was by mitchgx, i am actually planning for february.
Jan 31st, 2004, 09:39 AM

>>>>>>i am actually planning for february<<<<<<

Oops, Jazy, sorry about that. Glad you clarified. There's a big difference between February and June!
Jan 31st, 2004, 03:21 PM

You're on a strict timetable to see all those places, however you could go on an organised tour or rent a car to Pt Stephens as it will take you 3 hours in a train and another hour in a bus from Sydney just to get there. Hawks Nest is our favourite little village in the area. I live one hour's drive from Pt Stephens and The Port is paradise!!! Feb is warm 25-32 degree days, water is cold though. Dolphin cruises can be booked on a daily basis except very busy on Sat and Sunday. Carlton Crest is very close to Paddy's markets & Chinatown (cheap great food) and a short walk to George St buses (5am-11 pm). Hotel is 3 star accom -adequate if you're on a tight budget. There is a wonderful Sydney youth hostel nearby also. check out wotif.com for standby rates for hotels. If it is possible to allow another 3-4 days more you'll get a better taste of the places you want to see and all will not be a blurrrr......Have a great visit.
Jan 31st, 2004, 04:11 PM

Hi Jazy,

The Port Stephens Coaches company runs a daily service to and from Sydney their timetable is viewable following this link:

http://www.pscoaches.com.au/sydney.php

May I suggest that one of the best ways to do this for you would be to take a 1 day tour with the Wonder Bus company. Their website link for the tour is:

http://www.wonderbus.com.au/tours/PortStephens.htm

Cheers

Paul_S
Jan 31st, 2004, 11:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanx Lyndie and Paul,

Due to time contraints, i will not be able to stay there overnite. It has to be a day-trip thing. From what you said, it seems not advisable for me to go there by myself.

I was looking at the wonderbus site.. it cost $225 for the trip to port stephen which is rather steep for me.

Do you have any other cheaper options or suggestions? Thanx!
Feb 1st, 2004, 04:03 AM

Hi Jazy,

Okay, below is a cheaper option but I qualify this with the comment that I do not know this tour company and I cannot vouch for them. I find their website a little confusing but you can always e-mail them and ask the price yourself.

http://www.sydneydaytours.com.au/myweb2/ps1.htm

As for the wonder bus tour, I actually think it is not too bad for the money as it is an all inclusive tour, there are cheaper dolphin tour boats which is something to keep in mind. I have seen some of the boats which I think are overloaded but that is just my opinion. There are the Moonshadow cruises which are very nicely appointed and include underwater cameras and full bar facilities and then there are the bare bones boats that are really old converted ferries.

I hope you have a great time regardless of whom you go with, the Stockton Sand Dunes are pretty impressive, I have taken the quad bike adventure tour over these dunes and it is a pretty spectacular and thrill seeking experience.

Cheers

Paul_S