Search

Port Douglas vs. Airlie Beach

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Port Douglas vs. Airlie Beach

Hi,
We have about 5 days in the "Northern" part of Australia - we are also planning to spend time in Melbourne, Sydney and Australia. I am having trouble deciding which area is nicer - more to do but also nice beaches to relax on.
Please let me know your thoughts. We leave at the beginning of November.
Thanks!
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 05:38 PM

I can't tell you anything about Airlie Beach because I have never been there, but Port Douglas was great. We stayed at the Garrick House which was about a block from the beach and a short walk to the center of town. The studio that we stayed in was lovely and very comfortable and the people were great. Port Douglas itself has some wonderful restaurants and shops. The beach is very nice and if you want to go out to the Great Barrier Reef, there are lots of options from there. I highly recommend it.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 06:31 PM

Airlie Beach doesn't have much of a beach at all, but you can access Whitehaven Beach in Whitsundays from Airlie which is about the ultimate in tropical beaches with pure white silica sand. By November it'll be stinger season in Port Douglas area so swimming only in small netted area on beach - its OK further out on reef.

From Port Douglas you do have easy access to Daintree and Cape Tribulation World Heritage rainforest areas, there's some lovely remote beaches in that area, but of course the stinger problem applies.
Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 09:04 PM
tt7

In addition to Port Douglas (an hour north of Cairns), the other main beach place in that part of the world is Palm Cove, about 25 minutes north of Cairns. It has a variety of apartment rentals and several relatively high-end resorts. Almost all the accommodation places are directly across from the beach.

In Port Douglas, the main hotel is the Sheraton Port Douglas, on four mile beach. It's a little bit out of town (shuttle bus distance). We've never stayed there because we go to Palm Cove but have visited to have a look. It tends to get mixed reviews - was getting a bit worn but supposedly has been undergoing refurbishment so is probably now much refreshed. There's also a Peppers in Port Douglas - closer to town than the Sheraton but perhaps not quite so close to the beach. There's also a Peppers in Palm Cove. Both Port Douglas and Palm Cove have a variety of accommodations so you should be able to find something to suit you.
Old Nov 4th, 2011, 01:25 PM

The original post is dated Sep 06!!