Port Douglas or Palm Cove?

Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Port Douglas or Palm Cove?

Am considering staying at either Sebel Reef House in Palm Cove or Club Tropical Resort in Port Douglas. The latter is much less expensive? Any infor concerning either location and resort would be appreciated. An
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 08:43 PM

Basically Palm Cove is a village with several good hotels/apartments, a good beach and a nine-hole golf course. It is about 20 minutes north of Cairns and is connected with a bus service.
Port Douglas is a town about 40 minutes north of Cairns, lots of hotels etc, a good variety of restaurants, a good beach, and an expensive golf course. The trips to the reef leave from the Port Douglas marina. I don't think there is a public bus service to Cairns but there is a shuttle bus between the airport and PD.
It all depends on what you want - if it is night life and a variety of eating places, go for Port Douglas. My personal preference is Palm Cove because it is quieter.
Either way it would be a good idea to hire a car as it would give you freedom to explore the area. A good day trip is to take the ferry across the Daintree River to Cape Tribulation, plus there is a lot to see between Cairns and Port Douglas.
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 04:42 AM

PD is not a place for rollicking nightlife. There are a couple of small places to go, but it's not a place to go clubbing. I consider it a very small place--for goodness sakes, everything's on one main street...I really liked it there. I found it relaxing and would definately go back.
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 11:12 AM

Hi,
We chose Palm Cove because it is so peaceful and relaxing. PD is similar but is larger and a bit busier.
All the apartments/hotels at PC are gorgeous, the Oasis at Palm Cove was just fantastic with the most fantastic apartments and it was really reasonable.
Book direct with them @
www.oasis-palmcove.com.au
It is set back off the main beach front but is only a 3 min walk.
It is self catering though, with perfect kitchen facilities if you need it.Although there are enough places to eat in PC.
We found the lifeguard club a real value for money place to eat and drink.
Some trips go from PC Jetty.
The bus to Cairns is a great service and although I didn't catch a bus to PD I am sure they go that way.

What ever you decide have fun

Muck
Wales UK
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. Anyone know anything about Club Tropical Resort in Port Douglas?