Pls. hlp. me sort out Sydney hotels

Sep 8th, 2001, 12:03 AM
Jun

Pls. hlp. me sort out Sydney hotels

Planning very first trip to Sydney in November. Hoping to make excellent decisions regarding hotels to add to fond memories of this trip. Here's what I need help with:

1. We are actually dividing our stay in two. We want to stay 2 days in the
Darlinghurst, Paddington, or Potts Point area. Trying to look for a "boutique"
hotel that has large clean rooms. Looking to be in an area close to cafes,
small stores, restaurants, etc... Nice streets equivalent to Union for
Fillmore in San Francisco. Currently considering the following:
1. Hotel Altamont
2. L'otel
3. De Vere Hotel
4. Travelodge Wentworth
5. Rex Hotel
6. Pentura Hotel

Any thoughts on these?

Finally, we will switch hotels and stay either in the Darling Harbour or The
Rocks area. Choices and comments on our options:

1. Intercontinental - seems to be a generally ok hotel. heard comments that
the rooms are small. looks like it has a nice pool, lobby, etc..

2. ANA Hotel - thinking that the strongest suit of this hotel is the view and
the rooms seem to be large. This is a plus for us since I would like a large
room. Negatives are that it might not have as much of a classy or "alive" feel
compared to other 5 stars because of the heavy connection to Japanese tour
groups.

3. Sheraton on the Park - Seems Ok, but not quite in the category as the others. In other parts of the world, the Sheraton is not quite in the same class as the Regent or Ritz Carltons. I don't know about the rooms and location.

4. Merchant Court - This is an interesting hotel. They seem to have a very
good attitude about providing service. I've been in touch by email with a
reservations agent that has been very helpful and prompt. They have agreed to
upgrade me to a kind deluxe room with a view over hyde park. i even heard that
they won the recently awarded deluxe hotel of the year award. I suppose it is
also quite new, yes? Merchant court, Raffles, however, is not in the top of
the top category worldwide.

5. Regent - I am very interested in this hotel and confess that the Four
Seasons reputation influences the way I feel. I know the location is great and
the rooms are supposed to be well-appointed. - maybe not the largest around,
but hopefully large enough. The package we are looking at also comes with a
daily buffet breakfast.

Feel free to recomment other hotels in these categories. Also, note that we're not really looking for apartment style hotels.

I'm just someone excited
about my first trip to Sydney and in general, the hotel experience is important
to me. I did not bother mentioning the Park Hyatt, Observatory, etc.. because
there weren't good enough specials that I could afford.

Thanks a whole lot.

Sep 8th, 2001, 02:08 AM
E. Finnemore

Firstly Sheratons in Australia are of a much better quality than those in the USA and the Sheraton on the Park is a 5 star hotel as good as the Marriot etc. There is a hotel which starts with G - Graces or something like that which is lovely with large rooms. The Ritz Carlton is very nice too as is the Renaisance.

As for boutique hotels you could try The Russell hotel at the Rocks across the road from Circular Quay. A terrific location. It has a web site and is http://www.therussell.com.au - or something like that. One of the first hotels in Sydney too.
Potts Point is really too far from everything for my liking and Kings Cross is not what it used to be. Darlinghurst is better I think. I would be looking at either Darlinghurst or The Rocks - the Rocks being my first preference because you can get anywhere from there.

Sep 8th, 2001, 02:12 AM
e. Finnemore

PS
There are some really lovely B&Bs in both Potts Point/ Kings Cross and in Paddington which you may entertain. One that comes to mind in Potts Point is at 122 Victoria Road and I think its actually classified as a boutique hotel. It should be on the Web sites - try the babs.com.au site which stands for bed and breakfast

Sep 9th, 2001, 11:42 PM
Leslie

Have you tried the W Hotel in Wolloomoloo (I know that is spelled wrong...)? Woll. borders Potts Point, and the W has recently opened. NOt sure of the room size, but it is certainly in the 'boutique' category. I used to live in Potts POint, and while I loved it, heed the above poster's warning re: Kings Cross. A bit seedy, esp. at night.

Sep 10th, 2001, 01:54 AM
Jun

Thank you both for the info. Is King's Cross part of Pott's Point? I was curious about this. Yeah, we're not into seedy at night, if you know what I mean. More into cafes or places to listen to music and stuff.

Thanks for the note the W. It is a nice hotel, and while I think it'd be a hip place to be, my partner isn't as in to the nouveau-chic, industrial feel. I've been to the W in Honolulu and it was wonderfully different.

Darlo, though, is a relative safe place? It just sounds like a colorful, nicely lively place to be. I thought it'd be nice to stay there. Thanks again. By the way, would y'all recommend the Sydney Pass? We won't be taking any organized tours and was wondering if the additional benefits of the Sydney Pass was worth the extra costs over weekly transit passes. Thanks again.

Sep 10th, 2001, 05:15 AM
Paul

I would also consider the Renaissance near Circular Quay. We very much enjoyed this hotel and our room had a great view of the Harbor Bridge.

Sep 10th, 2001, 07:02 AM
traveller

I found King's Cross interesting to visit during the day but not a place I would want to be at night. I was a woman, travelling alone, and the cab drivers did not want to take me into that area. I agree about the suggestion for the Rocks. I couldn't afford to stay there so stayed at the Y instead but the Rocks is incredible and so close to many beautiful points of interest. On my way home, I had some extra cash so I stayed at the Intercontinental. It was a comfortable, modern hotel.

Sep 10th, 2001, 09:43 AM
Martha

Jun -

I just got back from Australia and stayed at the Intercontinental in Sydney. I thought it was very nice - the rooms really aren't that small, there was a desk and chair and a loveseat in addition to a queen bed in my room. The service was terrific and the location is superb. I would highly recommend it for your visit. Have fun, I did.
Martha

Sep 10th, 2001, 01:11 PM
Liz F

You ABSOLUTELY MUST get the City Explorer bus pass its about $15 for the day and lets you get off at this place and that and get on again after you have explored some thing. Also a nice thing to do is take the bus to Watson's Bay ( unless you are around at the time the ferry goes) have lunch at Doyle's restaurants or the Pub there, climb over the sea side of the Bay and get a terrific view of the harbour heads. Come back via Bondi and back into the city. Another nice "do it yourself" is to take the ferry cat up the river to Parramatta and then get the train up to the Blue Mountains. Once up there you can get a tour to the places of interest. Its a full day and its very nice.
Another fun thing to do is take a harbour cruise with includes middle harbour - get the most extensive cruise or just get on some ferries and go and come back. Any of the bus/train/ferry deals are a great saving.
Darling Harbour is very safe and an interesting place to stay. Its only one stop on the ferry to Birkenhead Factory Outlet shops too!
Be sure to get the airport/hotel shuttle
which is about $7AU and takes you to the door of the hotel.

Sep 10th, 2001, 01:26 PM
Beth

E. Finnemore (and others who have advice!),
Thanks for the advice to my message of last week re. hotels in Sydney. I'm not reading any mention about the Glebe area or Trickett's B&B, which I've read about in several places. Do you have any thoughts on it? Is the location convenient to get to/from the city center? The website says it's a 20 minute walk. My traveling buddy said she'd really like to stay in a B&B, and that comes recommended by many travel guides, but I would like to get the opinion of someone who has stayed there, or in the area.
Thanks a bunch.

Sep 10th, 2001, 02:07 PM
jun

Paul, traveller, Martha, Liz,

Thank you for your input. Yes, Paul, I heard the Renaissance was nice, too. Traveller, I'll take your suggestions regarding King's Cross. Martha, was your room the standard room? That would probably be the room we would get. And Liz, thanks for the tips....will write them down.

Sep 10th, 2001, 02:21 PM
Marlene

We are spending 2 weeks in Sydney/Port Douglas in a few short weeks. While in Sydney, we plan to stay at the Clarion Suites - Southern Cross Harbor. The room has a queen size bed plus sofa bed. Hopefully, it is the size of the Clarion Suites in the U.S. It is in Darling Harbour at Harbour & Goulburn. Check their website: www.sxhg.com.au There are quite a few Clarion Suites in Sydney. They honor all discount rates that any US Comfort Inn Suites normally honors. I'll let you know how it is!

Sep 10th, 2001, 05:09 PM
Liz Finnemore

I didn't mention did I that I always stay at the Menzies Hotel in Sydney when I go because of its convenience and closeness to the underground - across the road. Its a middle of the road cost hotel. As for the B&B's the one I mentioned in Victoria St Potts Point/ Kings Cross is very nice. There are some in Paddington that are really nice too but try www.babs.com.au for B&B's.
I think the 20 minute walk someone told you from Glebe was a bit on the iffy side.
My first choice though would always be " The Rocks" area and there is a very nice B&B there - just can't remember what its name is. Everything is within walking distance and its very colourful.
I hope you have a wonderful time in Sydney. It's my favourite city in the world and if the weather is kind to you I am sure it will become your favourite too.
Liz

Sep 11th, 2001, 04:20 PM
Martha

Jun -

Yes, my room was a standard room which I really didn't pay that much for.

Martha

Sep 18th, 2001, 04:33 PM
Lucy

Hi Jun,
If you want to stay in the Roks ro Darling Harbour for the 2nd part of your stay in Sydney then you can take the Sheraton off your list as its close to either. I would probably pick the ANA marginally ahead of the Regent which are right near each oher (alhtough I think the Regent may have been refurbished recently so may be better choice now).

Sep 18th, 2001, 04:34 PM
Lucy

Ooops, clearly that should have been 'the Rocks or Darling Harbour'.

Sep 20th, 2001, 03:31 PM
sonia

Hi

I live in Sydney and have family coming over at Xmas. We went and checked out some hotels for them around the rocks and circular quay so i thought i woudl post my opinions...

Quay West - lovely views from all rooms. it is an all suite hotel so you have a good modern kitchen too. Very well decorated.

Regent - beautiful;, especially the harbour view junior suites. Large rooms, very nicely decorated, great staff.

Renaissance - we thought this place was overpriced. It is more expensive for a suite here than all the others except the Park Hyatt and the rooms were very unimaginative. Also, there is a skyscarper in fron tof the hotel so views only get half the harbour.

Quay Grand - all suites, top quality in all respects. Great views of circular quay, bridge or Botanical Gdns. Rooms are very big and furnishings were very high standard (modern style). Only has 70 rooms so is much more intimate. You have balconies too, and youcan sit and watch the people milling around circular quay below. Would be spectacular views at night too.

Park Hyatt - disappointing considering the price. Has great views from some rooms of the opera house but otherwise rooms were no better than others. Why nayone pays twice the price of other hotels to stay here is beyond me. Just the name I guess, but I really wouldnt bother...

Hope that helps.

If you want to stay in Potts Point there is a ParkRoyak hotel there. Potts point is just next to Kings Cross. If youare looking to stay somewhere different, why not try North Sydney? You get better views here and ther is so much on the north shore to do. Or try hotels like Rushcutters Harbourside which is on the water just past Kings Cross.

I have stayed at The Milennium Hotel which is in Kings Cross. Is 4 stars but very cheap because of location. Kings Cross can be seedy and scary at night but the views are great from this hotel and you are very near to everything. Very easy to park near hotel too (not sure if you are driving).

If you have the money, I would go for the Regent or Quay Grand no question.

Sep 20th, 2001, 09:57 PM
jun

To everyone - this has been an absolutely wonderful and helpful post. Thank you all for your input. Sonia, I appreciate you chiming in even though there were a number of messages already written. I will do a little more research on Quay Grand and West. By the way, were the standard rooms at the Regent spacious enough? I know you spoke about the junior harbor suites, but our budget is for a standard room. Thanks.

Sep 21st, 2001, 01:12 AM
Diane

There are only 2 places to stay in Sydney in my opinion!

If you can afford it- the Quay West- it's where Mr K Reeves stayed for 3 months whislt making The Matrix (I know because we took the lift/elevator with him and he chatted to us)

or if you are on a budget try the Sydney Central YHA-it's the absolute best city youth hostel in the world (we, late 40s, stayed in a double room with ensuite for the Olympics-fantastic
Enjoy Australia
It's a pity you are not including Perth as it's one of the world's best kept secrets!!
Regards
Diane

Sep 27th, 2001, 09:52 PM
Maryellen

Boutique Hotel = Very Small Room

Charming Hotel = Probably no elevator (lift)

Be careful about what you really are asking for...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO