Search

Pls help review 14-day South Island itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2005, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pls help review 14-day South Island itinerary

Hi,
With advice and suggestions from my earlier post, this is the itinerary that we are likely to settle on:

Day 1 - Late afternnon arrival in CHC
Day 2 - CHC sights
Day 3 - Lake Tekapo, overnight in Oamaru
Day 4 - Oamaru winery/cheesery, noon departure to Dunedin
Day 5-6 Dunedin & otago peninsula
Day 7 - Drive to Queenstown, overnight in a Cromwell farm
Day 8 - Arrive in Wanaka - Puzzling world, orchards/winery
Day 9 - Drive from Wanaka to FJ Glacier
Day 10 - at the glaciers, overnight at Fox or Hokitika?
Day 11 - Continue drive from west to east coast, via Arthur Pass. overnight in Kaikora
Day 12 - Kaikora
Day 13 - CHC or Akaroa
Day 14 - Early morning flight from CHC

12 days is really tight and we had a difficult time deciding what's in and what's not. The last days is a backup for delays due to bad weather, though we are keeping our fingers crossed...

Some questions -
Is it possible to do 2 glaciers in 1 day? Should it be FJ or Fox if it has to be one?

What's the difference betw a half-day hike and a Heli-hike in terms of views and experience? Do we have to be in any specific gear?

If we're in Kaikora only for dolphin & whale watching, could we do the same in Akaroa instead?

Thanks!

Manda
Old Apr 9th, 2005, 05:44 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Manda -

Yes, you can see both Fox and Franz in a day, but it's unlikely you'll be able to hike on both in a day. They're only about 25 km apart, so you can easily visit both, and perhaps do a 1/2 day hike on one, and hike to the terminal face on another, but that's about it. Weather on the West Coast can be unpredictible, so be prepared for a change in plans.

I haven't done the guided half day tour, but I have done a helihike. The helicopter dropped us off on the glacier (in my case Fox Glacier) and we then walked around on the glacier for awhile. It was easy and pretty tame, but it was the highlight of our trip.

I don't think one glacier is any better than the other - they're both interesting and both worth a visit IMO.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Mel!

Guess I'm getting anxious... without much time to dilligently read up in detail while putting in some hours at work to get ready for the 2-week vacation leave.

I really wished we could stay on longer... but well, maybe thats meant for a 2nd trip or even a third one...
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 11:36 AM

Hi Manda,
I live in New Zealand, Christchurch to be precise - If you would like to read a travelogue plus view photographs of a fairly recent jaunt that my wife and I had through the South Island please email me at [email protected]
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 12:43 PM
ALF

We've gone heli-hiking and taken the guided tour onto Fox Glacier. These experiences are very different. The helicopter takes you to high altitude, where most of the terrain (including the glaciers) are snow-covered. You get broad views of majestic scenery as you tramp along a snowy route. The guided tour takes you on a walk up a valley, and then onto the terminus of either glacier. You will be walking on a very rough melted ice surface, with crevasses, streams, gullies, and tunnels. Views are more confined, but the glacial ice is very interesting to see, particularly all the weird melted shapes.

You need to have (or rent) good boots for walking around the snow on a heli-hike. The guided tours provide an alpenstock and hobnail boots with instep crampons.

Both Fox and Franz Josef are similar in appearance near the bottom, and they merge together up high, so I don't think that you will get that much more out of visiting both.

You can see dolphins at both Akaroa and Kaikoura, although if your goal is to see the Hector's dolphins, you'll want to go to Akaroa. The dolphins at Kaikoura are Dusky dolphins. Personally, I would be more interested in seeing the sperm whales off Kaikoura, because that is such a rare experience.
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 07:36 AM

The dolphins in Kaikoura are amazing. On our trip, we saw approx. 100 dusky dolphins. They are extremely active, jumping out of the water and doing 350 degree flips. I have never seen anything like it. The Hectors dolphins in Akaroa are less active. If I had to choose, I would definitely do the dolphin trip in Kaikoura.
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 01:03 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your inputs!

There's nothing more valuable than first hand information!

We are leaving for NZ this weekend... I'm getting excited about catching glimpses of the sperm whale... hence we should be at Kaikora, and if all's well, Akaroa too.

We have yet to decide to do the tramp or helihike... probably the first & foremost is to keep our fingers crossed for nice weather and clear skies!

Manda
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 05:58 AM

Hi Manda,

wonder if you have read my travel report?

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...8&start=50

We chose to do Fox glacier as it's cheaper and we went on the half day hike. Watching whales in Kaikoura is recommended! You get to see dusky dolphins too as the captain will steer the boat into the dolphin bay after whale watching. Unless you want to swim with the dolphins, I suggest you do the whalewatch trip instead of dolphin watching trip. PS: You cannot see whales at Akaroa.