Search

Franz Josef / Fox Glacier

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2005, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Franz Josef / Fox Glacier

Hi,
I need help with planning for Franz Josef/Fox Glacier. We are spending 2 days in Franz Josef/Fox Glacier area. Below mentioned are the options I am thinking of.

1. Helihike allows you to hike nearby the area where the helicopter drops you.

2. Aerial flights take you to the summit and land you there for about 10 mins.

3. Half day glacier walk will give you the experience of walking on ice.

We are thinking of either taking option 1 or option 2 + option 3. Which will be worth it?

Also, whether we should do it at Franz Josef or Fox Glacier and which company would be the best?

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 09:07 AM

Both are worth it! We were there a few years ago and had made reservations for the helihike on Franz Josef Glacier because my sister had done it and loved it! Unfortunately, foggy weather caused a cancellation of our helihike, so we booked a half-day glacier hike for that afternoon and a helicopter ride the next morning. It was really great to hike on the glacier, but you should know that you have to walk over about 1 km of moraine (rocks) before you get to the face of the glacier. That would not have been so bad in my own boots, but you have to wear their boots so that the crampons fit correctly. I'm a pretty good hiker, but that was tough. The helicopter ride the next morning was great! We had enough time on top of the glacier to build a little snowman and have a snowball fight. However, we were lucky because the clouds moved in again and we were the last folks to fly that day.
So, to summarize, I would try to go on the helihike, if only to avoid having to hike on the rocks. However, if you can't do that, the half-day hike on the glacier is pretty spectacular! And be aware that foggy weather can cancel lots of flights.
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for your reply. One more question - did you book in advance? Also, with which tour company did you go? Thanks a lot for your help.
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 03:46 PM

Yes, I did book in advance, which I strongly recommend, especially since you have only 2 days there. Since we got fogged in on the first day, we had the option of cancelling or re-scheduling for the next day. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the company. I just remember that they had a big office on the main road in Franz Josef.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for all your help. I just booked a flight with
www.scenic-flights.co.nz and a half day hike with the Guiding Company.
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 11:53 AM

Quick question, What clothing should we pack for the glacier/heliride in Feb?
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 04:36 AM

Looking at the photo that the helicopter pilot took of us on top of the glacier I see that three of us are wearing shorts with lightweight jackets. One of us is wearing cargo pants with a lightweight jacket and we were all wearing our hiking boots. I was one of the ones wearing shorts and I was quite comfortable. Since we were only on the glacier for about 10 minutes, there was no need for us to "bundle up". Having said that, your best bet would be to contact the company and see what they recommend. Also, the clothing requirements for the half-day hike will be different as you will be out there for several hours and the weather can change quickly. Our company gave us specific suggestions for clothing (lots of layers), so you may want to contact them too before you leave so you know what kind of clothes to bring.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 05:45 AM
Jed

<b>http://www.franzjosefglacier.com/heliHike.asp</b>

&quot;You'll need:
Three warm upper body layers, lightweight trousers. A light snack and small drink bottle&quot;
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 06:58 AM

Thank you for that info. We do plan for inclement weather and will take appropriate clothing. For those of you who have been there, do you have recommendations for particular tour/ flight guides?
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 07:09 AM

We had our accommodation (Punga Grove) book for us, figuring they know which is the best company!
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 06:55 PM

Tim and Liz,

I was looking at Punga Grove for a one night stay in January. Was it nice? Unfortunately, we don't have much time to stay in the glacier area.

Thanks!!
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 10:25 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
H_and_E - we spent three nights at Punga Grove a few years back and we liked it.
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 03:07 AM

H and E,
We haven't been yet-- we are going there next month. I will report when we return!
Liz
Old Dec 18th, 2005, 06:41 AM
Jed

Tom and Liz - Best wishes for a great trip. I can imagine how excited you are, now that you are counting the days.