Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Please Post Your Australia and Pacific Itinerary! And how long before you leave!

Please Post Your Australia and Pacific Itinerary! And how long before you leave!

Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw this idea on the Africa board and it is soooo useful as I begin to think about my next trip. So I wanted to see if it would catch on here/ if you feel comfortable sharing.

So please post
1) how long before you leave
2) where you will be visiting
3) any tour operators you are using.

*****MY TRIP*****

In 2 months we will be in OZ!

START: From Chicago to Sydney on United Airlines (sitting in the back of the plane)

2 nights SYDNEY
Staying at the Sydney Harbour Bed and Breakfast on the Rocks (in the Rocks?)

3 nights LIZARD ISLAND
Next, on to Lizard Island for diving and snorkeling. Staying in an Anchor Bay Suite.

2 days TABLELANDS
Fly into Cairns and picked up by Jonathan Munro for animal spotting - the "hunt for the elusive platypus". Staying at the Lake Eacham Rainforest Lodge

5 nights in PORT DOUGLAS
Trying to stay at the Peninsula Boutique Hotel

1 night DARWIN
Staying at Saville Park Suites. Just a quick stop-over.

3 nights COBOURG PENINSULA
Next fly to the Cobourg Peninsula. We are spending our days in Garig Ganuk Barlu National Park at Seven Spirit Bay Lodge.

Back to Sydney for a night
Then back to Chicago

Can?t Wait!!
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 12:08 PM

We are still in the beginning stages of planning....I have the tickets on hold with American Airlines and need to book by 5/5. This is the basic agenda:

Fly from DFW to LAX to Sydney
4 days in Sydney
Fly to Tasmania
5 days in Tasmania
Fly to Cairns (through Sydney)
3 days in Cairns/Port Douglas (this part is still up in the air....need to investigate and plan).

Timing is late February to early March 2005. Two week stay.

I hope time doesn't drag -- I'd love to go NOW!
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 12:09 PM

Oops - forgot to finish it out...we will fly from Cairns to Sydney to LAX to DFW (which I know will be a nightmare, but no way around it!)
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 10:39 AM

Our trip: Arrive Sydney 7/10. Fly straight to Coolangatta on the Gold Coast. Will be based there for 2 weeks. Planning a 5-6 night side trip to Stanthorpe in Queensland's Granite Belt (staying at the lovely Beverlea Vineyard Bed and Breakfast)and the Warrumbungle Ranges near Coonabarabran in mid-western NSW. (We love to hike!) Suggestions for B&B accommodation near Coonabarabran welcome!

7/24: Fly to Sydney for a brief stay.

7/26 Fly to Auckland, NZ for one week in NZ. Details not worked out yet but plan to spend most of our time on the South Island before returning to the States on 8/3.

Any suggestions for accommodation on the South Island are also very welcome. Looking for 2-3 places we can use as a base for a 2-3 days each, preferably rural and not in a major tourist center like Queenstown. We are not interested in skiing - just day hikes, touring by car, general sightseeing. Family of 4.
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 03:38 PM
DJE

5 week Trip. Flying to Sydney via Tokyo. An overnight each way at Narita Airport.

Arrive in Sydney for overnight and then taking the Indian Pacific train ( 3 nights ) From Syd to Perth ( 3 nights ) Picking up rental car and heading up the west coast for a 2 week trek to Darwin. A number of one night stops along the way with the exception of Broome ( 2 nights) and then onto Kakadu staying in Jabiru ( 3 nights )

Next stop Darwin ( 2 nights ) and then fly to Melbourne ( 3 nights ) Pick up another rental car and take a ( 5 night ) leisurely drive back to Sydney for another 3 night stay before heading back home.

This is our 2nd trip to Oz as we did a 5 wk. driving trek some years back through the eastern half of the country, from Sydney across and up through to Uluru and north to Tennant Creek before heading east again and down through Brisbane and back to Sydney. Had a fabulous time and anticipate another wonderful trip this time around.
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 04:23 PM

This is for Ralph who was looking for a place to base himself on the South Island of NZ. Here's a thought:

We stayed at the Lake Moeraki Wilderness Lodge on the west side of the island. You can wake up in the morning, take a kayak onto the lake and you'll be onto 4-pound-plus brown trout in 15 minutes. After breakfast you can join the tour to feed the eels, learn about the rainforest or do an independent hike to the coast to see nesting Fjordland Crested Penguins. Fox Glacier is an hour north if you want to schedule a glacier hike (which we HIGHLY recommend). You're also right up the road from Haast Pass which is full of hiking trails - one of them was a two-minute return (that, frankly, we explored because we had to go to the bathroom!) but it led to an eden-esque waterfall spilling into a crystal clear glacial pool. Your stay at the Lodge includes breakfast and dinner and the food was magnificent. Plus it's literally in the middle of nowhere. Nothing around for miles but mountains, lakes and rainforest. It's been a while but it might be worth looking into. I'm jealous. I'd love to go back to NZ.
Old Apr 26th, 2004, 07:28 AM
dkw

Our trip is as follows:

We leave in September

Flying from Detroit thru LAX (using FF miles to get as far as Honolulu)

Overnight in Honolulu

Next Day - Fly from Hnl to Syd

5 Nights - Sydney - Shangri La Hotel (5 night package purchased thru Luxury Link)
Fly to Adelaide

2 Nights - Adelaide - Pacific International Hotel

1 Night - Ghan to Alice Springs
1 night - Alice Springs Resort (rent a car for 3 days - no drop off fee)

2 Nights - Drive to Ayers rock - Outback Pioneer

3 nights - Fly to Cairns - Sebel Reef House, Palm Cove

Last Day - Fly from Cairns to Sydney - Sydney to Honolulu, Honolulu to Lax, Lax to Detroit......Very long day!!!

I'm just now getting to filling in our days with activities and tours. I'm open to all suggestions and/or comments about day trips and tours.
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 06:11 PM

This message is for halliep: Thanks very much for the great suggestion regarding the Lake Moeraki Wilderness Lodge. Sounds like just what we are looking for! Will be looking into it for sure.
Old May 4th, 2004, 01:34 PM

Assuming I don't fail out of school this week...I quit my full time job on July 30th.

14 nights North Island/Melbourne

Fly out of Pittsburgh August 6th arrive Auckland August 8th.

2 nights Hilton Auckland
drive to Ntl Park area and stop at Glow Worms on the way
1 night Grand Chateau Mt Ruapehu (1/2 day skiing Wednesday) then drive to Napier-hubby has to see the ART DECO historical city
1 night Flag Inn Napier
3 nights Rotorua, Ann's Volcanic
(day trip to White Island Volcano, various geothermal sites, Jetboat, zorb)
1 night Auckland some cheapy BW near airport place!

fly to Melbourne August 16th
5 nights Melbourne
3 nights Marriot CBD and 2 nights Hilton CDB had to split it up for hotel points!

Plan to drive up the GOR one day and we have Aussie Rules Football Tickets for Friday night Pies vs ??

Depart Melbourne Sunday August 22nd

Start clinicals Monday August 23rd.

Old May 5th, 2004, 10:02 AM

Wow Amanda - I think we've finally decided on an itinerary very similar to yours:

Leave San Francisco Aug 4 on award travel from American Airlines.

5 nights Sydney (waiting to pick accomodation)

5 nights island (probably Lizard)

2 nights Munro

3 nights at Marae bed and breakfast outside of PD (still have to check on availability)

1 night Cairns before our early morning trip back to SF through Brisbane and LA

This is blowing our budget but what are honeymoons for?
Old May 6th, 2004, 09:52 AM

I'll pitch in:

Depart 9/16/04: For anyone counting, that is only 90 more business days...

Fly LAX to SYD 9/16 5 nights in SYD (I've decided to wait, to try and get last minute hotel deal)

Rent Car:
2 nights Blue mountains

5 day road trip from BMts down to Gundagai and up coast via Jervis Bay etc.

Fly SYD to Cairns

2 nights Cairns, visit GBR

3 nights Silky Oaks Daintree (for my big 40!!)

Return SYD leave for home on Saturday .

I am still trying to decide if I am brave enough for the bridge climb.. (when I was in Sydney before, you could not do this) seriously, it takes me perscription medication to go up in a 747... But my husband is REALLY into it.... I am counting the days as you can see... count... count... count...

Happy Travels to all!

T

Old May 11th, 2004, 01:19 PM

Two of us are leaving this Sunday, May 16 from Newark, NJ, USA. Arriving Sydney May 18th. Then flying into Cairns that day.

May 18-22: Heading to Port Douglas; Hibiscus Gardens (A spa room!!!)
Snorkeling w/Wavelength; Possibly a David Ambrust tour.

May 22-25: Darwin, renting a car and driving to Gagudju Crocodile Hotel in Jabiru
Sightseeing/hiking in Kakadu and taking the Yellow Water Cruise.

May 25-29: Alice Springs
Camping at Uluru 2 nights; hoteling in Alice before and after (not sure where yet!)

May 29-June 2: Sydney
Ibis Darling Harbour
Definitely the Bridge Climb! Hiking in the Blue Mountains and touring the city

June 2, back to NJ!
Old May 11th, 2004, 07:43 PM

Thyrs
Do the Bridge Climb - it's fantastic and not at all scary!

Don't even consider getting some Dutch courage under your belt - you WILL be breathalysed, and, if you're over the limit, you can't go - and no refund!
Old May 12th, 2004, 03:28 PM

Thanks for the extra encouragement Margo... yep.. I will do it, though I curse the no beer rule I am positive that it is for the good of all concerned!. I really want to do this.. now is it best to book the bridge climb when you arrive or pre-book?.. (I ended up booking the Holiday Inn Old Sydney since I wanted that location!.
Old May 13th, 2004, 11:10 AM

Hi we leave on 15 of jan 2005

heading from heathrow to Hong Kong - 2 night
perth 2 nights
margaret River 3 nights staying at Cape Lodge
Sydney 4 nights -
cairns - 2 nights sebel reef house
getting car and driving to brisbane over 10 nights
bisbane 2 nights
Fijji - 6 nights outrigger reef
on to LA for 2 nights then home!!!
I am battling iwth the old vertigo for the bridge climb hoping to get over this when i arrive!!
Also hoping to do some white water rafting and surfing lessons!