Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Places to stay between Rotorua and Wellington?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2005, 11:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. I'll be making the drive down from Rotorua to Wellington along the central route (through Taupo) in mid-July, weather permitting. How long is that drive? Are there towns along the way you recommend stopping in for the night? Thanks!
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 03:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi TinTintoo

I think someone else has replied but I will try too.

The trip from ROT to WLG is about six hours by car as long as you do not bust your guts getting there.

You can stop South of the Lake at Turangi. Do a bit of fly fishing. Very nice. Virtually guaranteedof catching a fish as well as the rivers as bountiful around there.

Heading south. The next town is Waiouru. Very good military museum here (Home of the army) desolate town, otherwise, Keep moving on if you can.

After Waiouro, you are in the Manawatu. the main town to the north of the province is Taihape. Honestly the only thing this town is famous for is its Annual gumboot throwing contest. Stop for a cup of coffee,that is all.

Further south if you vere off the main drag toward Palmerston North you will hit a largish town. The countryside around PN is worth a look. OK place to have a break before the final two hours to hours to WLG.

To be honest whenever I have been travelling between the bay of Plenty and Wellington I have doen it in one trip.

There are a few nice wee towns and B&B's to check out but frankly it is the most boring part scenically of NZ. I Generally of travelling that route do not stop.

Weaher wise. It can be tricky with the desert road. It is actually close tonight due to snow and ice, but if you check ahead it pays. There are alternate routes.

Cheers

Steve