Pick-up and drop-off rental in same location in NZ?

Apr 9th, 2006, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

Pick-up and drop-off rental in same location in NZ?

We are flying into Christchurch and have 12 nights on the South Island. Our flight out of the South Island will be sometime in the evening on Jan 27 (we have a connecting flight to Fiji out of Auckland on the 28 in the am). So our flight out of the South Island is flexible. Would you recommend picking up and dropping of a rental in the same location or would it be better (more efficient time wise) to drop it off elsewhere? Our options are to either drop it off in Christchurch, Nelson, or Queenstown. What do you guys think?
Apr 9th, 2006, 04:14 PM

I would drop it off in Queenstown. We also spent 12 nights in the South Island, picked up our car in Christchurch and returned it in Dunedin (Avis). We loved the South Island, and Fiji too!
Apr 9th, 2006, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

Where did you guys stay in Fiji?
Apr 9th, 2006, 04:27 PM

We stayed at Matamanoa and Tokoriki resorts, followed by a 3-night Blue Lagoon Cruise.
Apr 10th, 2006, 05:46 AM
Jed

First figure out your itinerary. Then drop off the car at the last place you will need it, wherever that is.
Apr 11th, 2006, 01:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies, but we decided on dropping and picking up both in Christchurch due to bette flight times out of Christchurch on Jan 27. Thanks for the info.

I have another question though. Do you think it would be necessary to pre-book all of or hotels. We were hoping to had a plan, but nothing set. That way we could stop and stay as long as we wanted if we really like a place. To us, it takes some of the stress out of the trip. My concern is, we will be there in high season, will the hotels be full?
Apr 11th, 2006, 06:45 AM
Jed

It looks to me that you took my advice to decide your itinerary first, and the drop-off follows.

You will always get a hotel or other place to stay, especially in the larger areas, although it may not have been your first choice. If you are flexible about accommodations, you can wing it.

Check on sites such as wotif.com for last minute places to stay, and good rates.
Apr 11th, 2006, 06:58 AM

24Lisa-
It may not be necessary to prebook hotels in most towns, but you will want to prebook major activities such as a helihike on the glaciers, swimming with the dolphins in Kaikoura, or an overnight cruise on a Sound in Fiordland. Some activities book up very quickly. We booked above activities in August 2005 for our January 2006 vacation and got the last few spots for each activity.
Accommodation in the glaciers could be a problem that time of year if you don't book ahead. We were glad we did book our entire itinerary before leaving.
Liz
Apr 11th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

I found a company that does day cruise/diving in Milford Sound. It is called Tawaki Dive, has anyone used them or know of anyone who has? I think it looks like a really unique way to see the area.