Reload this Page >

Perth and Western Australia

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 1999, 04:29 PM
Kittie

Hello, <BR> <BR>I am thinking about going to Perth during my trip to Australia next year. I have read about Monkey Mia.I have also heard that there is a great reef on the west coast. What else is there to do in Western Australia? Where is a good area to stay to be in good proximity to the things to do? I like natural sights as well as cities.The travel books seem to write off western Australia. I have learned that the areas that the travel books write off as non-interesting usually end up being the places to go in a few years. <BR>Any suggeations? <BR>Kittie

Old May 15th, 1999, 09:22 PM
keith

Kittie, <BR> I was in WA last year. You are right about the reef. I found the diving at Ningaloo Reef off of Exmouth (Way up the coast North of Perth) much better than the Great Barrier Reef. (As did everyone I talked to who had dove both areas) More sea life and less reef damage. Plus, you can swim with the whale sharks in April and May. <BR> Downside is that Exmouth is hard to get to and not very tourist oriented. Plus, they just had the worst typhoon in Austrlian recorded history go through, causing major damage. Probably should call ahead. Keith

Old May 16th, 1999, 07:14 PM
Richard Krause

Kittie, <BR> <BR>Western Australia is Great!!!. My wife and I were there last September. We saw many many wildflowers. Two very nice caves (Lake and Jewel Cave) are near Albany. The Bungle Bungles are awesome (especially from a helicopter). <BR> <BR>My sister and her husband were in Australia for the first three months of this year. They were going to scuba dive on the Great Barrier Reef, but because of the jellyfish, ended up scuba diving on the west coast of WA around Ningaloo Reef and had a great time. <BR> <BR>The best part of WA is that most tourists don't go there, just some travelers. <BR> <BR>Best to check out Keith's report of the typhoon and the damage it may have done. <BR> <BR>Dick

Old May 17th, 1999, 02:25 PM
Kittie

Keith and Dick, <BR> <BR>Thank you so much for your advise! <BR> <BR>I just had a feeling that WA was well worth seeing. I like to see the things that the "average tourist" doesn't see. <BR> <BR>Thanks again! <BR> <BR>Kittie

Old May 19th, 1999, 02:13 AM
Sass

Kittie, <BR> <BR>I too, was in WA last year, and had a fantastic time. If it's natural sights, etc you're after, you're heading for the right place. About 200km north of Perth is the Pinnacles desert, then further up is Kalbari National Park. A fantastic place to go is Karijini National Park. It's inland a bit, south of Port Headland. It is basically a maze of gorges. Some spectacular scenery, and hardly a tourist in sight. We spent about 4 days in the park taking gorge walks and most of the time, we were the only people in the gorges. The only thing is that it's quite difficult to get to if you don't have a car, as tours can be expensive. Hiring a car is probably the best way to go. <BR> <BR>Enjoy WA. <BR>

Old May 24th, 1999, 07:04 PM
Kittie

Sass, <BR>Thank you for the info. <BR>O.k....it's decided...we are going to WA!!! Yippee!!! <BR>Kittie

Old May 25th, 1999, 02:14 AM
David

WA is a great part of our contry. Try to get up to the Kimberly while you are there.One thing you do need to look at on the maps is the distance you must travel to get to some of the places mentioned on this post. Perth to the Kimberly is a long way....and getting to places like Exmouth, Monkey Mia and the Bungle Bungles are significantly off the main highway (eg 200km there, 200Km back)....but you will love it..my advice is just plan carefully.

Old May 25th, 1999, 05:52 PM
Kittie

David, <BR>Kimberly sounds interesting. I have read about it. We actually would like to stay north of Perth. I have looked at the maps and WA is very BIG. You are right- we will have to plan carefully. <BR>Thanks! <BR>Kittie