Search

Perth and the SW

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2010, 12:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perth and the SW

What should I see in Perth in early September. We are in Mandurah for a week, then touring for week.
Rottnest is on the list - but what specifically there.
Freemantle and the Maritime museum is as well.
Not much into cafes or galleries though.
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 01:54 AM

Hi again Peter,

Without really knowing your likes and dislikes, here goes.

Well its wild flower season but with the lack of rain not sure how good it will be this year. Area's around Perth
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~wildflowers/Perth.htm and for other areas all over the state http://www.wildflowerswa.com/en/Wild...ch/default.htm

From Mandurah you could head south and get to Busselton - nice beach and holiday destination. Dunsborough is lovely and a bit further south. Margaret River might just be too long a day trip or you could stay overnight. Plenty to explore there.

Not really a fan of Rotto but by all means go for a day trip, nice coves and beaches. Might have to pick your day though in case its rough and windy.

Fremantle (note the spelling - one "e") is only about 15 minutes from my home. Lovely old buildings, just walk around and look up. Museum is good and right near the fishing boat harbour, plenty of food options in Freo including the Cappuccino strip. Sit back, relax and watch the word go by. I know you said not into cafes but this really is a Freo thing to do. Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays - Fremantle Markets http://www.fremantlemarkets.com.au/
Oh and Little Creatures Brewery is in the boat harbour as well, beer and food.

http://www.westernaustralia.com/en/P...Australia.aspx - lots of itineraries on this site as well as info.

Around Perth - Kings Park, there will be lots of flowers and walks etc. Matilda bay for a picnic on the river, Cottesloe Beach, Perth Mint, boat trip up the Swan to the vineyards or down past all the expensive houses to Freo.

You could go north to see the Pinnacles, or east to Kalgoorlie and do a wild flower loop back to Perth, Hyden and wave rock or head further south to Walpole/Denmark/Albany to see the trees and coast line, could do the Treetop walk in that area too.

That might give you some ideas, get back to me if you need anything further. Hope you have a great time and you will be coming at a lovely time of year - unless of course it decides to rain!
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 02:50 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi Peter -

Loads to do as Maudie has pointed out. I've been compiling a list of things to see/do in the Perth area as I discover them myself - you might want to see my Taste of Perth report for some ideas. It's heavy on hiking and national parks, but also some info on wineries and tourist activities, etc.

http://www.fodors.com/community/aust...d-vicinity.cfm

I also have 2-3 SW WA trip reports, one for NW WA and one for Kalgoorlie and Esperance also posted here, although with only a week, you probably won't want to go that far.

I visited the museum in Freo just a week ago - rather enjoyed the submarine tour and made the obligatory stop at Little Creatures for the beer drinkers in our group. I love the ferry ride from Barrack Street Jetty to Freo - great introduction to Perth and a relative bargain (as Perth goes) at $22 a head.

The Perth Zoo is a short ferry ride (and 10 minute walk) from Barrack Street Jetty too.

I really enjoyed a recent visit to Caversham Wildlife Park, spent most of the day there...my visitor loved it, never having seen a 'roo or koala in the flesh.

Glad to hear that Rotto isn't all that Maudie...I tortured myself over whether or not to take my brother on his recent visit, but it presented a logistical challenge so we never made it.
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 04:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for those. I will follow them up. Is Rottnest Island really worth it. Or is it just one of those things that people tick off their list?

We chose September for the wildflowers. Love walking and national parks and geology.
How long does it take to drive to Wave Rock? from Perth? from Albany?

Sorry about the extra "e" in frmantle. Now I i'm even. I have been taught how to pronounce Al Bany not All Bany.

Thanks.
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 03:03 PM

Perth to Hyden is 337 km, about 4:50. Long way to go to see a rock. Not much else out there from what I understand.

Travel distances here:

http://www.westernaustralia.com/au/T...Distances.aspx

I have no firsthand experience with Rotto, but I get the impression it's on the list of many people as a 'must see'.
I'm not big on 'must sees' myself, as I find they're often disappointing.

I researched Rotto though, and it's basically a little island that one can bike around, lie on the beach and play in the water. It's known for its quokkas. Other than the quokkas, one can bike, lie on the beach and play in the water just about anywhere in Perth. Rotto is where the school leavers and spring breakers (or whatever they're called here) like to hang out.

Rotto isn't cheap to get to and this time of year ferries are very limited, so by the time you get over there, there's not much time to actually spend on the island if you're just going for the day.

That's the personal assessment of one who's never been though, so take that with a grain of salt.
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 05:57 PM

Hi Mel - lost your email address when the computer died, we must catch up sometime!

Hi Peter, I would have to agree with Mel about Rotto, I really don't think its worth the time and money. I do love the coastline around Dunsborough though, I think it is far prettier. I also think Wave Rock would be too far out for you to visit with only a week.

You obviously have a reason for spending a week in Mandurah so from there I would head down to Busselton, Dunsborough, Margaret River and do a loop back to Perth. If you only have a week of touring do you also need to fit Perth and Freo into this week? It won't leave you much time.

You could try part of the Cape to Cape walk or the Meelup trail from Dunsborough, on a clear spring day this would be beautiful, its one of our favourites. You should be able to see native orchids along this track, I can give you further info of the exact places if you are interested.
http://www.toptrails.com.au/ has many walking trails including the Meelup one, there is a green box on the front page that slides across, I think its #1.

Also plenty of walks around Perth and the hills, you could do part of the Bibbulmun Track, if you click on Top Trails in blue up the top of the above site, it will come up as the first one.

Hope this helps.
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

"Long way to go to see a rock" is fighting words to me. I've travelled much further to see rocks. Literally half way around the world. But I get a buzz out of tseeing rocks.

We are using a timeshare unit in Mandurah, so no real need to be there specifically, just a base. We intend to to Perth and Freo from there. We will have a car, but might take, the train in.

Thanks for the advice about Rotto. I think we will give it a miss.
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 05:18 PM

Knock yourself out Peter. I once helped a geologist friend plan a trip to NZ based on rocks. Whatever floats your boat.