Penguins. Island versus Boat Cruise?

Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Penguins. Island versus Boat Cruise?

We are visiting Melbourne later in December and wish to see the penguin parade. I have seen some posts on the boat cruise and some Fodorites saying that the long drive to the Island was not worth it. Any recommendations? How close to land does the boat get and close do you get to the penguins?
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 12:33 PM

We just returned from Australia and the Penguin Parade was great. We really enjoyed it. We opted for the more expensive screening area and the penguins walked right past us! We stayed at a small hotel on Phillip Island instead of trying to drive back to Melbourne. We also visited the Koala Sanctuary which was kind of cool. I wish we had stayed a couple of extra days as the beaches were very nice. Might be kind of crowded in Dec. Cheers, Mate. Enjoy.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 01:29 AM

Hi Jeremy,
We took the boat ride this time last year from central Melb down the river out to see the penguins, we got close up to their area and saw quite a few.
This didn't make the conservationists too happy.
It served our purpose as the drive down to philip island was too long for us to take. The BBQ on board was average but we drank plenty of wine and had a good laugh so in all it was worth it.
I will try to remember the name of the company we used, maybe marg will know the name??
I will endeavour to find my melbourne trip report.

Muck
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 01:39 AM

Ok I found it

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...3&tid=34466035
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 09:28 PM

The tour Mucky refers to is with Penguin Waters. Their website is www.penguinwaters.com.au. The trip goes from Southbank and views penguins in Port Philip Bay.
If you really want to see the parade at Philip Island, it takes at least 90 minutes to get there, the penguins don't start coming in until dusk which in December will be about 9 pm, so by the time you watch the parade, and get back to Melbourne, it's a very late night. If you really want to drive there, stay overnight in Cowes or San Remo. Alternatively take a coach tour from Melbourne.
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 04:15 PM

I would take a coach tour it is well worth it but dress warm as it can be cold if a south wind is blowing they come in at dusk you will see more penguins there than any were else
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 09:57 PM

The trip to Phillip Is to see Fairy penquins is well worth it. Talk about up close and personal- you have to give way to penquins crossing the boardwalk! Only problem with December is the twilight and the dark comes very late! Prepare for a long wait.
Anita
Old Dec 9th, 2004, 05:06 PM

There's so much more than Penguins to see at Phillip Island - the nature island... Get face - to face with Koala's at the Koala Conservation Centre, walk on some beautiful pristine sandy beaches, there are surf beaches, extensive wetland walks for bird-watching, one of the largest seal colonies in the southern hempishere just off Seal Rocks, and rugged natural coastlines...and some great accommodation options ranging from luxury B&B's to cabins, hotels etc.

The Ultimate Penguin Tour is THE one - sit on the beach and have the Penguins walk right pasy you in the sand...