Search

Phillips v. Kangaroo

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 08:30 PM
beth

Phillips v. Kangaroo

What would you guys suggest between Phillips and Kangaroo Island, or should I try to go to both. I wasn't sure if they were a similar type of thing or what. Thanks for all of your opinions

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 09:05 PM
Shanon

Firstly why are you wanting to go to either island? They are 100s of miles apart and are very different. There is nothing much but penguins to see on Phillip Island and a little bit more on Kangaroo. Neither is worth a detour to go and see so unless you know why you want to go then I would look further afield

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 08:20 AM
beth

Well, I'll already be in Adelaide and then Melbourne, so It wouldn't be too hard to stop over in one of these islands. But I don't know if it's worth it or not or if I should only see one.<BR>Thanks

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 08:36 PM
marg

If you are staying in Melbourne, do a coach trip to see the penguins on Philip Island. They generally leave early afternoon and get back late at night as the penguins don't start coming in until after dark. Apart from this, Philip Island is a pleasant beach resort place.<BR>Kangeroo Island is more difficult to get to - either a few hours on the ferry or light plane. You would probably need two or three nights there to make your trip worthwhile.<BR>If you are visiting Adelaide and Melbourne, and driving between the two, visit the Grampians in Victoria. You should see lots of kangeroos, emus, koalas there, plus some beautiful country.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 02:21 AM
aussie

Hi Beth, I live 3/4.hr, drive from Phillip Island. <BR>There are plenty of things to do & wonderful accom, all grades.<BR>It is a very pleasent & easy drive from Melbourne. On the way up you could stop at some tourist places & look at koala's & kangaroo's. <BR>San Remo is the town before the Bridge to Phillip Island. If you are at the San Remo pier around 11.00.a.m. you will be able to watch pelicans and manderase,(my spelling is ??) being feed.<BR>Over the bridge is another town called Newhaven & a couple of klms. from here you can divert to Churchill Island, which is just over another small bridge. This island is owned by the Victorian Government & has just had a lot of $$$ thrown at it, it has an old historical home & lots of animals to look at & a lovely snack / lunch shop with lovely see view. Driving out of Churchill Island there is a large Gerbera Flower Farm, if this is of interest you can take a tour of the hot houses. <BR>Further on into the island you will drive past Koala corner where you may be lucky enough to see some, then maybe take a road to The Grand Prix Race track & further on to Seal Rock & veiw the seals (lunch available here)<BR>& learn about marine life.<BR> (The penguin parade is up this area of the island but it doesn't start until dusk, Seal rock closes around 5.p.m.<BR>There are a couple of wineries along the way.<BR>Going to the main town on the Island Cowes, lots & lots of things to see, maybe take a boat trip around to Seal Rock & view the seals from meters away,<BR>or visit one of the many tourist things.<BR>If the weather is nice a long walk on the beach or watching the fisherman is always pleasent. <BR>Hope this helps re. Phillip Island.<BR><BR>