Papeete--what to do?

Jan 26th, 2006, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Papeete--what to do?

Anyone have suggestions on what to do for 1 and 1/2 days in Papeete in April? We stop there on our way to Auckland. We like to see the sights.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Jinx Hoover
Austin, TX
Jan 26th, 2006, 08:09 AM

The Papeete Market (known as Le March&eacute is a logical choice. I'd also be tempted to take the ferry across the Sea of the Moon over to Moorea for the day - though I'm not very knowledgable on availabity of modes of transport on Moorea, so you'll have to look into that a bit if you decide to head over there. Moorea is often quoted as the most beautiful island in the South Pacific (similar in some ways to Rarotonga - where I see you'll also be - but even more beautiful). You may want to swim/snorkel at the beautiful public beach near the Sofitel hotel (nicest beach on the island, I've heard - certainly looked drop-dead gorgeous to me, with great views back across to Tahiti).

Ken
Jan 26th, 2006, 09:21 PM
ALF

Papeete does not have that much to recommend it as a tourist destination. The large open-air market cited above is indeed fun and interesting, but after that, there is not much to see or do. I agree with Ken that the best thing to do is take the 45-minute ferry to Moorea, then take a bus/taxi/rental car around this beautiful island. There are several fine beaches and lagoons, as well as a rugged scenic interior.

You note that you will be there for 1.5 days, inferring that you will overnight in Tahiti. If so, there are several nice places to stay in Moorea, provided the timing is right for your flight to Auckland (which I think leaves at some absurd hour in the morning).

If you must stay on Tahiti, take a tour/bus/taxi/rental car to the other side of the island, Tahiti Iti, which is so much nicer than the main western part, Tahiti Nui. There are some fine bays, lagoons and beaches where you can while away your time.
Jan 27th, 2006, 05:31 AM

Get a small cooler (chilly bin) and load it with some food and drink. Then jump on Le Truck, kind of the local bus system, and go for a sight seeing tour. Moorea is worth the ride too. Also, get up early and check out the open air market.

Enjoy,

Beanman
Jan 27th, 2006, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much, guys. This will help a lot.

Cheers,

Jinx Hoover