Search

overstayed a visa ?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
overstayed a visa ?

I will travel soon to oceania, but I have a doubt,that in the pages of my passport there's documentation which shows that i had overstayed a visa in the past.will be that an objection or a problem? thanks

Old Jul 4th, 2004, 01:42 PM

ines2003, I doubt that anyone on this board will be able to answer your question - it raises too many subsidiary questions and really can only be answered by the authorities of the country or countries concerned. Will you need a visa where you're going? If so, no doubt you'll get your answer when you apply for it. Perhaps you first could try phoning the embassy or embassies concerned before you go much further. It may depend on the circumstances of your previous breach (like, how long was the overstay? why did it happen? in which country did it happen? how long ago was it? etc.)

Old Jul 5th, 2004, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the answer, i not need visa where i go, i dont if the authorities know which the time in each country or if look all my passport.i need good luck.bye
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 09:33 PM

ines2003, it's possible that I am misunderstanding your answer here, but Neil's advice is so good that you should heed every word of it, and I get the impression from your reply that you are going to just sweep it all under the mat and trust to luck. I would urge you NOT to do that... look again at what Neil has written; in no way did he try to lull you into a false sense of security. His advice was to come clean and ask the experts before you go. Even in countries where you don't need a visa, your passport will be examined, and Australia (not that you specified that you were coming here, I realise), in the current political climate, is sometimes very touchy about the background of people coming in and going out. You have nothing to lose by owning up to the authorities now, explaining yourself, and getting a decision made by cool heads able to take their time. You have everything to lose if you were actually in a country and suddenly your past transgression, trivial though it may be, came back to haunt you. In this case, while you are awaiting a decision you could be watching hundreds of dollars flying out the window. Take Neil's advice, and don't feel complacent.... yet.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 11:21 PM

Just to add to this.
I know of someone who booked a 3 week holiday with family in USA and paid for it in full.
He applied for a Visa and was refused based on a minor conviction 20 years before.
He is NOT allowed entry to the USA.
Subsequently he has lost a lot of money to change the holiday to one in Europe.
Insurance won't cover this one.
My suggestion is as alan and Neil have said check it out first, it will save you a great deal of pain later.

Muck
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

The truth I am in a great problem, themselves not to where run, if to change my ticket and to change my passport or to risk me to go, that they leave me to enter but also I can lose 1000 $ of passage, that advise me?
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 11:11 AM

Ines,

Si usted habla español, dígame que su pregunta en español y mí intente ayudar.

John in Miami
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 12:59 PM

John,
usted es muy bueno

Muck
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 04:33 AM

If you come to Australia with bad visa you go to detention centre. No holiday for sure.

It isn't much to ask to respect the law of any country you visit, if you choose not to. then... I am sorry you are on your own.

Ask the officials, they are always far nicer before the crime than after it. They will send you on the right track. You will be given straighforward advice.