Overnight Stay between Queenstown & Christchurch

Old Mar 31st, 2003, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overnight Stay between Queenstown & Christchurch

We will be traveling in NZ in September & have decided to drive betwen Queenstown & Christchurch.To break up the trip we'd like to spend the night about halfway between the two. Travel agent recommends Hermitage Hotel at Mt. Cook. Any other suggestions?
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 09:11 PM

I have not been to the Hermitage, but I have read from others on this site that it is way overpriced for what it is. Also, it is a big detour off the main road to get there. Check a map to see how far. We did not want the extra driving when we were going from Te Anau to Christchurch, so we stopped in Lake Tekapo, which is right on the way. There are several motels there. Nothing fancy, but with nice views of the the lake. I think I also saw a sign for a B&B up on the hill overlooking the lake.
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 10:45 PM

Hi, we stayed at Lake Tekapo and it is beautiful. We did camp but there were several motels or cabins to rent. Mt. Cook is beautiful but only if you have great weather. At Lake Tekapo there is a lovely church that is a must see and the lake is just awesome. We did not stay in the Mt. Cook area but I can believe it would be very pricy. This does not mean don't go to see the area. The drive in is unbelievable. Wendy
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 02:25 AM
Kerry_Guy

Hi Lisa<BR>You will enjoy the drive from Queenstown to Christchurch. The inland route is very scenic but do watch the weather - we had snow last night on several passes including the Lindus. You are wise to stop and you will certainly enjoy the experience. I have a different view to the two others. We have stayed at both a motel at lake Tekapo and at Mt Cook. The Hermitage Hotel has one of those world class setting with a view of Mt Cook from your bedroom window. The tariff is reasonable and it depends a bit on the time of the year. It is value for money. You will pay a similar amount for say Lake Tekapo Lodge which is in the $120US to $150US for two persons Bed &amp; breakfast price range. It is relevent to your budget - if you are in the Huku Lodge $1300US/night range then it will be too cheap but if that is your total holiday budget then it is out of reach.<BR>What every you choose you will enjoy the experience.<BR><BR>Kerry

Old Apr 1st, 2003, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. Kerry, what kind of weather are we likely to encounter in early September at Mt. Cook? I checked the website for the Hermitage &amp; the prices seemed more than you quoted but it is not out of the budget. We probably won't make this trip again.
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 01:15 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Lisa -<BR><BR>We spent two nights at the Hermitage a few years back - it's in a nice setting with great views (so I'm told anyway). It rained non-stop for our entire stay and the visibility was non-existant. <BR><BR>The Hermitage was a bit over-priced in my opinion, but we did enjoy our stay and it was the splurge of our trip.<BR><BR>We've visited NZ in September twice. You can expect a mixed bag of weather. You'll most likely encounter your share of rain, but that's why NZ is so green!<BR><BR>Have a great trip!
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 08:55 PM

Hi Lisa,<BR><BR>You could always visit Dunedin on the way. Its between Queenstown and Christchuch. Its a great university city with lots to do. I doubt if accommodation would be a problem in September.<BR><BR>The weather in September in the South Island will be cool. Its late winter, early spring. You can never tell, but I'd be packing warmish clothes, although jeans, sweater and a warm jacket will be just fine.<BR><BR>Enjoy your visit to NZ as its a beautiful country.
Old May 3rd, 2003, 03:44 AM

Have a look at the posting entitled &quot;Just Back From NZ&quot; and especially the remarks about Dunedin and Oamaru. Much depends on what excites you, but Dunedin is a city with a lot going for it.

For more ideas look at

http://visitnz.co.nz/dunedin.htm