Search

Outback decisions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19th, 2004, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Outback decisions

We are planning on being in Uluru/Olga area for 2-3 days at the end of December and have a few ideas of things we would like to see. Uluru base tour/sunrise/sunset and Valley of the winds hike at the Olgas (possible the gorge walk too) and sunsets. What is the best way to get around and accomplish everything in the time period? Car rental, tours or by bus? Any suggestions on the best tours to accomplish what we want?

Thanks!
Old Oct 19th, 2004, 01:33 PM

Alyssa: We did it on our own. Rented a campervan in Alice and took it out to Ayers Rock, the Olgas and Kings Canyon over 5 nights. Three nights at Ayers Rock gives you a full day each at Uluru and the Olgas and sunsets in both places. I'd say you would do fine flying in and out of Ayers Rock, renting a car and staying at Yulara. Beauty of doing it yourself is getting out on your own. We did the Valley of the Winds walk - a spectacular hike - in the early AM and had the place almost to ourselves before the tour bus crowd arrived arrived in the afternoon.
Old Oct 19th, 2004, 01:50 PM

Ralph, did you do that in the southern hemisphere summer or winter? My agenda in asking that question is that those who have done it in summer report that it is seriously hot and there are untold numbers of flies. I've never been there myself, so am not talking from experience.

Alyssa, I haven't been to Uluru, but I've been in deserts and semi-deserts on other continents. If you do decide to go there in December, be sure you have plenty of water with you, stick to proper roads and, if you should get lost for some reason, stay with your vehicle, as that gives you the best chance of being found. If you go on a hike, take a hat, water, a compass and a map. Tell someone when you expect to be back so they can raise the alarm if you don't return when you said you would.

That advice is not specific to Uluru which, as I said, I have never visited. It's just standard advice for arid regions. Probably you know it already, but it can't be repeated too often, IMO.
Old Oct 19th, 2004, 04:55 PM

Hi alyssa n. I am an Australian but others will have to fill you in on do it yourself or tours etc. I have to agree with Judy that THE most important thing you MUST be aware of is to carry plenty of water with you all the time. Yes it will be hot and there will be copious flies. We did it in March and the heat and flies were bad but it was one of the best holidays I've ever had , so hope yours will be enjoyable too!
Old Oct 19th, 2004, 05:04 PM

We went in May 2003 and it was freezing! December is possibly the worst month for the heat in the desert! Fly into Uluru and hire a air cond car there. Avis & others have agencies/offices there. The drive from Alice is long and boring. Uluru is a very expensive place to visit and food, wine etc are twice as expensive as anywhere in Australia except perhaps Broome!
Old Oct 19th, 2004, 06:18 PM

I agree with the other posters - Uluru in December will be hot and the flies will carry you off.

You'll see signs everywhere impressing on you the necessity for water and caution. This is very unforgiving country. There have been 2 deaths in the Kings Canyon area in the past two weeks - people with heart conditions, over-ambitious and insuifficient water.

We did Uluru area in August, and found that hiring a car was the most sensible way to get around. If you are hesitant about driving, however, there are plenty of tours that can be arrangeed from your hotel.

You would need to be in shade, preferably inside, from about 10am-5pm. Take care.
Old Oct 19th, 2004, 07:35 PM

alyssa,

If you drive from Alice Springs to Yulara or Kings Canyon, you 'll see a big slice of sky and can stop at Stuart's Well and see Dinky the world famous piano playing and singing dingo of central Australia.

For hiking you can by a very cool fly net to put over your face. You'll look peculiar, but fly free.

A/D
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 04:46 AM

Alyssa: We went in August. Great weather and very few flies. As others have indicated, Dec would be a different story. You might want to re-think. How about Tasmania instead?
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. We are leaning towards getting our own car since we will just be traveling around Uluru and Olgas, but may check into the buses that run from the resort. We know that December will be hot, but it was the only time that we could get enought time to travel (my husband is a student and has his semester break) and Uluru was something he missed the first time he traveled to Australia. Will definately keep in mind the water!
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 06:59 AM

Where can one purchase these fly nets? Are they able to be found in Sydney or should we wait until reaching Uluru?
Are they designed to fit over a wide-brimmed hat, or. . . ?
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 11:20 AM

T&L. We got ours at the supermarket at the resort. I've just packed mine in anticipation of a move. We wore ours over rimmed hats.

A/D