opals

Sep 28th, 2002, 08:45 AM
Dave

opals

Are opals really that much cheaper in Sydney than in the States. I will be visiting in October and would like to know if it is worth looking into?
Thanks,
Dave

Sep 28th, 2002, 10:44 AM
XXX

We found opals to be much more reasonable in Australia than in the states. But we found that to be true closer to the mines and in the smaller towns. We bought only for ourselves and children and weren't looking to buy a lot.

Sep 28th, 2002, 09:54 PM
john

Dave
Buying gemstones anywhere is a bit of a crapshoot in my book.

I reckon it is more fun to get ripped off, out in a unique opal mining town like white cliffs or lightning ridge or coober pedy than in some slick retail outlet in sydney or melbourne.

Go outback...stay underground...have a few beers in the local pub...there is a weird collection of odd bods seeking their fortune in these sorts of places

Sep 29th, 2002, 10:39 AM
ALF

Opals are cheaper in Sydney than most places in the U.S., but Sydney might be the most expensive place to buy opals in Oz. As mentioned above, the best thing to do is go to Coober Pedy.

Before you buy, make sure that you learn a little about the differences between triplets, doublets, mosaics, base color, fire color, and fire pattern. Here is an online guide to opals:
http://www.opal-tibara.com/buy.shtml

Oct 14th, 2002, 04:38 AM
mm

I believe that opals are cheaper in Australia, not to mention that there are more choices. Most of the the opals being sold in the US are the milky white in color. I bought a pair of earrings in Sydney. I'm not sure I got the best price possible but it was much cheaper than the opals being sold in the US. Don't forget to get a receipt for your VAT so that you can claim it as you leave the country for home.

Oct 14th, 2002, 07:36 AM
Mike

G'day Dave,
the previous posters gave you some sound advice.

As Alf mentioned, learn about the differences.
There are 'Solids' - the most expensive.
'Doublets' - the cheapest, and
'Triplets' in between.
As the name suggests, 'Solids' are solid Opal, whereas 'Douplets' are made up from a thin slice of Opal, backed by a layer of other material that enhances the colour and fire in the product.
'Triplets' a bit like 'Douplets', but an additional caping of cristal quarz has been added to further enhance the appearance and to make it more resistant to wear. ( opal is a very soft material ).
I like Coober Pedy and usually when there stay in Underground accommodation.
Andamooka is not known as well but the quality of the Opal from there is often as good as from anywhere. It's not as touristy, prices can be lower and it's still a little more like it was many years ago.

Should you be going to Coober Pedy you can email me and I can give you a few contacts etc..

Have a good time in OZ,
Mike.