Search

October Oz trip

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2005, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
October Oz trip

Hi,
Will it be warm enough to go to the Gold Coast/Sunshine coast beaches (and swim) in late Sept/early October? I'm trying to prioritize and fit in the right sights/places to go during this time of year, only have 2 weeks. Any other suggestions most appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 09:31 PM

dandc, I live a little bit north of the Sunshine Coast, however, the water temperatures are pretty similar for the whole of south-east Queensland.
Where I live, I have been swimming right through winter (but then I am a water rat), and water temperatures at the moment are around 25-26 degrees celius. It all depends on where you come from, and what temperatures are you used to.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Ok, thanks. I'm coming from California where the water is cold but the sunbathing is good. I like hot weather. I'm concerned that October will be too cool farther south, from reading other postings. ?

I'm also interested in wine-tasting in Barossa Valley (or elsewhere?) but am trying to tradeoff the weather factors that time of year.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 05:49 PM

September/OCtober weather is usually good for South East Queensland, but a bit cooler the further south you go. I am speaking about air temperature and sea temperature, that is.
My friends in Sydney get jealous, when they hear that we swim all year round.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 05:57 PM

Hello dandc,

From September 25 through October 7, from 1996 through 2004, the average daily high in <b>Adelaide</b> was 66 deg F (highest high was 89 deg F, and lowest high was 57 deg F). The average daily low was 50 deg F (highest low 68 deg F, lowest low 37 deg F). By my reckoning, there's a 37% of experiencing some rain on a given day during that date range.

I'm guessing that Adelaide's weather statistics can give you some idea of what to expect in the Barossa Valley.

<b>Sydney</b>: Average high 72 deg F (range 59 deg F to 95 deg F) and average low 56 deg F (46 deg F to 68 deg F). 39% chance of rain on a given day.

The above figures come from the Weather Underground website's trip planning feature. For reasons that escape me, the feature does not work for <b>Melbourne</b>. However, Weather Underground does provide monthly averages for Melbourne. September's average daily high is 63 deg F; average daily low is 48 deg F. Monthly precipitation : 2 inches. October's average daily high is 67 deg F; average daily low is 51 deg F. Monthly precipitation is 3 inches. I know from experience that a given day's temperatures can be many degrees on either side of the average in Melbourne, and spring weather can be windy too.

<b>Brisbane</b>: Average high 76 deg F (range 66 deg F to 93 deg F); average low 58 deg F (range 42 deg F to 68 deg F). 21% chance of rain on a given day.

<b>Cairns</b>: Average high 83 deg F (range 77 deg F to 91 deg F); average low 69 deg F (range 55 deg F to 77 deg F). 18% chance of rain on a given day.

The above are air temperatures, not water temperatures.

I swam in the Whitsunday Islands, something like half way down Queensland's coastline, one September. I don't know what the water temperature was, but it felt lovely to me (and I'm a weather wuss).

Apart from swimming and sun bathing, are you by any chance interested in snorkeling in the Great Barrier Reef? You would have time to fit it in. I do recommend it.
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Judy, this is very helpful. I would like to snorkel in GBR, as long we can avoid those jellyfish!

I'm thinking a few days in Sydney, a few in Adelaide/Barossa Valley, then head to GBR environs for swimming snorkeling, etc. We dont' dive, but I'm quite happy to snorkel around and relax.
Is that reasonable for 2 weeks?
Thanks!
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 09:06 AM

Hi Dandc,
Seeing as how you have such a small amount of time here I would suggest that you concentrate your time on the east coast.

You can still do your wine tasting at the Hunter Valley vineyards and they have just as good a selection of wines as the Barossa Valley has. The Hunter Valley vineyards can be done by a day trip tour from Sydney or you could fly from Sydney to Port Stephens ( Newcastle ) spend two days doing the vineyards and other activities then fly up to the Gold Coast direct from Newcastle.

Cheers

Paul_S
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 09:08 AM

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;I would like to snorkel in GBR, as long we can avoid those jellyfish!&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;

No worries. As I understand it, the jellyfish season only starts in November. Even then, I gather the jellyfish are to be found at mainland beaches and not in the GBR.

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;I'm thinking a few days in Sydney, a few in Adelaide/Barossa Valley, then head to GBR environs for swimming snorkeling, etc.&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;

Suggest you move from north to south in the southern hemisphere spring.

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Is that reasonable for 2 weeks?&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;

Yes and no. In theory it is feasible. When you say you have 2 weeks for the trip, does that include flying to and from Australia? In that case I'm guessing you'll have 12 days in-country. I would spend the time as follows

3 days - Sydney
1 day - flying from Sydney to Cairns (flight is only 3 hours, but it takes three quarters of a day to go from door to door)
4 days - Far North Queensland (book GBR expedition for your first day; weather is likely to be excellent at that time of year but, just in case, leave yourself wiggle room in case weather forces you to reschedule)
1 day - flying from Cairns to Adelaide
3 days - Adelaide area

If it was my trip, I would visit only Sydney and FNQ. I would spend 3 days in Sydney. Then I would go on an overnight trip to either the Blue Mountains or the Hunter Valley and Port Stephen. (Since you've expressed interest in the Barossa Valley, the Hunter Valley may interest you.)

I would spend a day getting to FNQ.

Then I would snorkel in the GBR (full day), visit the Daintree tropical rainforest (full day), and do an overnight trip to the Undara Lava Tubes.

Oh yes, I might reverse the order of that. I would investigate the feasibility of flying into Cairns and out of Sydney.

In previewing my reply, I see that Paul_S has beaten me to it. However, since I have provided some additional detail, I'll let my message stand as it is.