October New Zealand trip booked!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2006, 03:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, rightly or wrongly, I'm all booked up for my October trip now, with a range of accommodation from B&Bs to Motels. Here's our plan:

6th October - late arrival (11.30pm) in Auckland, 1 night stay in Jet Inn airport hotel
day 2, 3 - fly to Rotorua, 2 nights Regal Palms (with no car to get over jetlag)
day 4, 5 - fly to Christchurch, pick up hire car, drive to Arthur's Pass, 1 night Wilderness Lodge (linger in pass sightseeing/walking if weather good next day, otherwise head for the coast)
day 5 - Hokitika, 1 night Shining Star
day 6 - Glaciers (Franz Josef), 1 night Rainforest Retreat
day 7, 8 - Wanaka, 2 nights, Moorings Motel (sightseeing, walking)
day 9, 10 - via Queenstown to Te Anau, 2 nights, Campbells Autolodge, drive to Milford Sound on full day
day 11 - overnight boat trip Doubtful Sound
day 12 - Riverton, 1 night Nautical Haven
day 13, 14 - drive through Catlins, 2 nights Nugget Lodge
day 15, 16 - Otago Peninsula (Portobello), 2 nights Rugosa Cottage, penguins, gardens, etc
day 17, 18, 19 - fly Dunedin to Auckland, pick up 2nd hire car and drive to Bay of Islands 3 nights Russell, Triton Suites
day 20 - drive back to outskirts Auckland, 1 night Jet Inn
day 21 - visit gardens am, afternoon flight home

Yes, I decided to splurge on the Widerness Lodge (hope I won't regret it) as I will still be celebrating my "big" birthday but otherwise the accommodation ranges between (NZ) $129 and $205 per night for a double room (many the "deluxe" options). We chose Thrifty for the hire cars as they seemed a reasonable price and with few odd conditions.

Any suggestions for what not to miss en-route?

Will no doubt have some more questions before I go. Thanks to all those who have already replied and helped me so far.

Maria
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 02:40 PM

What did you plan to do on your full day in Wanaka? I have two suggestions. One is taking a shuttle from the tourism office at the lakeside to Raspberry Creek for a hike (not too strenuous) up to the Rob Roy Glacier(or you can drive yourself - we did). You can find lots about this if you do a Google. My husband and I did this 2 years ago on a trip for my 'big' birthday. We didn't actually make it to the top of the hike as we had to be back in town for dinner at Missy's Kitchen (highly recommended). The scenery was amazing and we did see the glacier at a viewing point not too far from the top of the track. Another suggestion is the Siberia Experience which weather did not allow us to do on that trip, but we are hoping to do it in October this year when we go to NZ for our 25th anniversary. I will find any excuse to go to the South Island. I love it. Anyway, you make your way to Makarora, take a half hour flight to the Siberia Valley, walk for about 3 hours through the valley to the Wilkin River where a jetboat picks you up and drops you back at Makarora. You book it in Wanaka and they let you know how the weather is for that particular day. I hope your trip is fantastic and look forward to reading your trip report!
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 05:59 PM

Why not stay anther night at Widerne Lodge? The time it takes to travel there will be longer than you think so you spend the whole day in the car instead of walking around in the wildernes..
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 04:22 PM

Well, Maria_H, you finally did it. Congratulations. Just don't think about the tab at Wilderness Lodge. Just enjoy it. Try to take in the sheep farm excursion. Also the star gazing at night. Both of these are no extra charge. We were rained out of a bird watching walk in the morning, but that would have been fantastic. Naturalists are very knowledgeble. The sheep thing was great fun. Dinner is very nice.
We drove from Wilderness Lodge all the way to Fox Glacier. Left about 11, long lunch in Hokitika complete with the requisite jade shopping. got to FJ say 5-6 ish. Can't exactly remember.
You've got a great itinerary, and you've worked hard at it. Now it's time to enjoy the fruits of your labor of love. Go for it and have fun.
(If I can ever get organized, I'll get some pictures up of our trip.)
Bill.
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 05:22 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi Maria -

I'm sure you're relieved to have settled on an itinerary. Rest assured you really can't go wrong when it comes to NZ.

Here are a few places you might want to check out:

Hokitika - Cafe de Paris - great little restaurant.

Franz Josef - The Blue Ice restaurant -our favorite in the area

Suggest you stop at the Blue Pools on your drive from Franz Glacier to Wanaka - short walk to some very interesting glacial blue pools.

If you like Indian food, be sure to check out Little India in Queenstown and Ashraf's in Wanaka.

Also be sure to watch (or even participate) in the bungy jumping from the Kawarau Bridge in Queenstown.

If you have time to stop in Fox Glacier on your way to Wanaka and want to take a great walk, I highly recommend the Chalet Lookout Walk, off of Glacier View Road. It takes about 90 minutes return and is a steady uphill climb, rocky in spots with a few stream crossings. You'll be rewarded with a great view of Fox Glacier from the lookout.

Te Anau - La Toscana is a nice little Italian restaurant

If you have time, highly recommend you make the 40 minute drive from Queenstown to Glenorchy - lots of great hikes in the area and very scenic.

Have a great trip.
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 02:04 PM

Hi Maria,
We stopped in Hokitika and were not impressed compared to the other places in the SI. I would skip it and add a night in either FJ or in Queenstown.
We didn't go through Riverton, but from my old research I would skip it. You have lots of time following the Doubtful Sound disembarkation to get to Nugget Point. Add a night in Queenstown or Dunedin.
You will have a wonderful time no matter what you do. Best wishes for a great vacation!
Liz
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 03:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone - I will consider all your suggestions - with the exception of participating in a bungee jump