Fox Glacier question

Old Jun 15th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fox Glacier question

Can anyone recommend a good helicopter tour service for Fox Glacier? (Heli-hike?)

We plan to arrive at Fox by late afternoon (after coming by TransAlpine from Christchurch and driving down the coast). Should we book a heli-hike for the following morning and then depart to continue driving south towards Wanaka/Queenstown? Or is there plenty to see in Fox to stay another night and depart for Wanaka in the morning?

Also - any suggestions for where to stay in Fox?
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 10:25 AM

We didn't go to Fox, we went to FJ, but we were very glad we stayed 2 nights in FJ. The drive from FJ to Queenstown was amazing and we were glad we had plenty of time to enjoy it.
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 04:08 PM

To caito76: I second above comments re: staying two nights. Gives you a little more forgiveness time vs the weather. We arrived in Fox mid afternoon, and all flights had been grounded about noon due to wind. I had prebooked with scenic flights for the next morning. I stopped in their office and was given a new (earlier) time for the following morning. The weather was terrific in the am, then clouded up in the afternoon. We just took a FJ and Fox Glacier ride, did not heli-hike. Even in the morning we could not fly over the top to Mt Cook due to wind. As you see, the weather is very unpredictible. So, the point is, if you strike out weather-wise the first day, you will have another shot at it the next morning.

http://www.scenic-flights.co.nz/ accross the street from The Cook Saddle Café and Saloon, which they also own. (Great ribs, burgers, fries, etc.) They also do heli-hikes, etc.

You would also have two chances at the post card photo op of Lake Matheson, an early morning sun rise walk. Our first morning was fogged in, then cleared the next.
More spare time? You can also hike up to the terminus of Fox Glacier from a parking area about a mile off the highway. Thats fun and not a hard walk.
I agree with Liz. Haast Pass over to Queenstown is a beautiful area and worthy of several stops.
On the way south from Fox, you might schedule a stop for lunch at the Salmon Farm, about an hour south as I recall. Nothing else available really, but a favorite of the local bicycling crowd. Oh, yeah, the salmon is wonderful. If you search my name you will get my three part trip report of our recent trip.
Have fun. We loved NZ.
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 07:14 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I always suggest at least two nights on the West Coast, as this gives you an extra day if the weather doesn't cooperate (which it often doesn't) and there's plenty to see and do in the area.

It took us 4 visits to the glaciers before the weather was good enough for a helihike. Each time we stayed three nights. Part of the problem was time of year, but you just never know what the weather will do.

We took a helihike with the following outfit and it was the highlight of that particular trip.

www.foxguides.co.nz/

We stayed at Lake Matheson Motel and we'd stay there again - clean, comfortable and the hosts were really friendly and helpful.

I wholeheartedly agree with the previous poster regarding the Cook Saddle - by far the best place to eat in Fox IMO.

If you like to walk, you might want to check out the Chalet Lookout Walk, located off Glacier View Road (Fox Glacier). We've hiked alot in NZ and this is one of our favorite walks (90 minute return).

Have a great trip.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 06:34 AM
Jed

I think whether you stay at Fox for one or two nights depends on how much you want to heli-hike.

If you really want to do it, then plan on staying the second night if the first day is cancelled and the second day weather looks good. If you do it on the first day, you could then continue south in the afternoon, although you don't have to go all the way to QT. If you moved to Haast, you would have more time to see the sights on the Haast pass the next day. Can you be that flexible?

I'm not sure that there is "plenty to see in Fox" that you would need to stay there a second night if you have already done the heli-hike.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 06:05 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
There's plenty to see and do around Franz and Fox if you're interested in hiking and the outdoors. Sadly, many people pass through, take a helicopter ride and move on.

Here are some examples of things to do in the area:

Okarito - Three Mile Lagoon Walk, Okarito Trig Viewpoint Walk, Okarito Lagoon kayaking and birdwatching. Okarito is a short distance from Franz Josef - its NZ's largest wetlands surrounded by rainforest.

Franz Josef & Foz Glacier -

Gillespies Beach and Seal Colony, walks to both terminal faces, walk around Lake Matheson, several great walks through the rainforest around both glaciers.

There's more to the glaciers than helicopters.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 06:57 PM

Roger that melnq8. We hiked to the Fox terminus, broke off a big chunk of 1,000 year old ice. It tasted, well, not any different. I wanted to put it in with some Jack Daniels, but by the time I got back to the car, it had melted. Darn! They say when you put glacier ice in a glass of water, it kind of fizzes or bubbles or something as that 1,000 year old atmosphere is released. Uhmmmm. Didn't get to try it. Next time I'll bring a glass and some Jack on the trail.
Fun thoughts, eh?
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 10:40 AM

I would recommend staying the second evening. We did the afternoon heli-hike with Alpine Guides (http://www.foxguides.co.nz/) and it was fabulous. Highly recommended. After your trip make sure to head over to Lake Matheson and take the 1 hour walk around the lake. The main reason that I suggest staying the extra night is that there are so many wonderful sights/stopoffs (e.g. Gates of Haast, Tower falls, Fantail falls,blue pools, Lake Hawea) to see along your journey to Wanaka that you really need extra time to see.

We stayed at the Fox Glacier Lodge and it was lovely.