Oakford Gordon Place, Melbourne

Jun 12th, 2002, 06:49 PM
Mick

Oakford Gordon Place, Melbourne

We're staying at the Oakford Gordon Place Hotel in late July. Has anyone stayed there, What are your comments? and what are your recommended things to do around there.

Jun 19th, 2002, 02:25 PM
Nikki

I believe you'd like the Oakford Towers better. The Place is much older and the rates I think are about the same. We enjoyed everything about Melbourne from the Great Ocean Road to the zoo, to Parialment, the parks, the Yarra River, Parliament and seeing the play Mama Mia. There is a great Chinese restaurant on the same street as Oakford Gordon Place - we loved it. Enjoy!!!

Jun 20th, 2002, 04:32 PM
Mick

Thanks Nikki

Jun 21st, 2002, 11:00 PM
Mina

Hi Mick...

I know I'm a bit late posting to your question, but I didn't know if you wanted more info...

I stayed at the O.G.P. in November 2001. Here's what I said in my trip report I posted back then...

"Oakford Gordon Place is not a luxurious place...they have an older section, and a remodeled section. I first got a room in the newer area, which was on the ground floor, tiny, and felt like a prison cell. I protested. The second studio I got was airy (high ceilings) and twice the size. Furnishings left much to be desired, but I got used to it, and enjoyed the space. So this place can be a crapshoot, I suppose. Just wanted to let you know, in case anyone took my suggestion, ended up in a hole of a room, and emailed me "what the f*ck were you thinking??!?!?""

There is free laundry use, which was wonderful for me, since I was in Australia for 3 weeks. I found the hotel to be in a good area, but if I were to do it again, I would stay somewhere outside of City Center, and stay someone more "funky".

Nicki's comment did make me laugh...Oakford Gordon Place on the doorstep of Chinatown, so there are tons of Chinese restaurants! But maybe she meant the Bamboo House, which is right across the street. The food was OK (I'm Korean...I'm picky about Asian food, I suppose). But as a solo Korean traveler, I had a terrible time dining solo at asian restaurants. They never wanted to give me a nice table! Granted, I know that lots of restaurants don't want to give their best tables to one diner, but at all the other restaurants I dined in, I got wonderful service and great tables. In fact, many gave me extra service because I was alone (probably due to pity) =P.

At the Bamboo house, they practically seated me in the kitchen (I was the second person seated that day...got there right after it opened). To tell you how close to the kitchen I was, a vendor came in and asked me if so-and-so was in today. I looked confused, and he said, oh...you are a patron, sorry. I thought the whole thing was pretty funny, and nicknamed the restaurant "bamboozled house" in my mind.

Let us know if you have more questions!

Jun 22nd, 2002, 06:28 PM
Nikki

Hey Mina - it was the Bamboo House and we're only anglos used to the oriental cooking in wash DC but we thought it was good. As far as the Oakford Towers they offered us a 1st floor room and I asked for a higher floor - they gave us a suite on the 7th and it was fine. We liked the location - but we didn't find Melbourne to be as fantastic as Sydney. Melbourne was more hustle bustle go-go-go business-like.
I would try to upgrade to the towers though Mick.
Hey Mina - I loved your trip report!!

Jun 22nd, 2002, 07:52 PM
Mina

Hey Nikki...

Thanks! The trip report was hastily done, cut and dry, and on retrospect, I could have added more useful info, but I guess that's why I still hang around! I appreciate the compliment though.

You are right...the bamboo house is pretty good...it's gotten pretty good reviews in the guidebooks (in fact, one said if you can't get into Flower Drum, go to Bamboo House). I guess me being in the kitchen eating with the waitstaff soured the food a bit!

I completely agree with your opinion on the Melbourne vs. Sydney thing. I think it's because we stayed in City Center? Most of the guidebooks recommend it, however when I've talked to some Melbourne folk I've met in the states, they all said I should have stayed somewhere else.

But Sydney, I fell in love with!

Search this Thread