NZ Weather Question

Jun 30th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

NZ Weather Question

We are looking at either November or December 2009 to tour NZ. Feedback, please, on what type of weather we can anticipate.

Thanks.
Jul 1st, 2008, 01:53 AM

It's really hard to say because it seems to change year to year. But based on last Nov/Dec... it was reasonably warm but definitely not hot, hot summer, which generally arrives in January. I'd say you'd get away with wearing a t-shirt during the day in November but not at night. Late December is usually fairly warm and if the sun's shining it could even be hot enough to swim.
But it's anyone's guess really so you should come prepared. It's unlikely to be freezing though - so leave thermals at home.
Jul 1st, 2008, 01:54 AM

oh, should've added that's the north island - auckland region. It could be completely different down south
Jul 1st, 2008, 08:20 AM

We spent 2 weeks on the North Island in the last 2 weeks of November 2007.
Didn't have a day of rain, highs were in the mid/upper 70s, with lows at night down into the high 50s.

Weather was fantastic, you might want to bring a light jacket or sweater, but if our experience is any guide, you do NOT need a bunch of sweatshirts/long underwear/heavy jeans and the like.

Comfortable, light cotton clothing with a few layers will be more than enough.
Have fun!
Dave
Jul 1st, 2008, 03:47 PM

We got snow in the south island one November. On another occasion we flew into Christchurch on Christmas Day to be met with light snow and rain. Last November we had sunshine most of the way. Prepare for a bit of anything and you won't be disappointed.
Jul 1st, 2008, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the replies. I do appreciate everyone's input.

Sounds like we will need to prepare as we did when we visited Alaska. Prepare for everything and dress in layers.

Aug 18th, 2008, 03:40 PM

I have found that silk thermal undergarments are amazing.
They are so slim to pack and so slim to wear under your clothes or to slip into a backpack to have with you just in case. Then if it warms up as the day goes on you just dip behind a trip or in a restroom and slip them off.
Like you mentioned, used them in Alaska and worked wonderfully.

t
Aug 21st, 2008, 11:11 PM

November/December can be very changeable especially on the South Island. Be prepared for rain, wind, possibly light snow at altitude, as well as sun. Layers. I recommend long sleeved tops and long pants for sun protection, they can be light weight. I like polypropylene long underwear (you can probably find it on sale in NZ), a poly fleece vest, and a windproof/waterproof layer. Get something that dries quickly.