NZ questions - winging it and temperature

Mar 18th, 2003, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

NZ questions - winging it and temperature

My husband and I will be in NZ for 3 weeks - last of April/first of May. We plan to 1 week on the north island and 2 on the south.

We like to wing it on our vacations - no set plans for lodging, etc. Will we have problems finding last minute lodging or reservations for tours? (We do have a car rented for the whole trip.)

Is there a specific type of weather to be expected that time of year?
Mar 18th, 2003, 09:09 PM
ALF

You will encounter weather similar to that of late Fall on west coast of the U.S. - northern California or Oregon. It won't be that warm, except perhaps in northernmost North Island. Expect periodic rain and cooler evenings on the South Island.

At that time of year, I don't think you will have any problem finding lodging or booking tours. You should be able to get in most places just by showing up.
Mar 22nd, 2003, 02:41 AM

The weather should be great for travelling and in may the fall colours are starting to appear in the south island.
You should be able to wing it very well if you are driving as you may like to stay in farm stays or B & B 's as well as motels and hotels giving you a much wider choice. Just pick up a handful of accomodation brochures as you come through Auckland Airport on arrival.
Mar 22nd, 2003, 07:27 AM

We had no problems winging it on our visit a few years ago. I think the only thing that required a resv. was for some of the big treks (like Milburn). Bring a good light jacket with hood for misty rain.
Mar 22nd, 2003, 04:09 PM

A good website for dicounted hotel rooms is www.wotif.com
I have used this many times, the down side is you cannot make same day reservations but if you know, a couple of dayts in advance, that you are going to be in a certain city, this website will be very helpful.
Weather is always a tricky question for NZ. April / May is late autumn-early winter and will be cold but the daytime temps could still be warm enough for t-shirts, wear layers so you can strip off if it gets too hot.
Pack a light shower proof jacket and a warm jersey.
Apr 5th, 2003, 10:13 PM

Hi Jen,
You should have no problem finding accommodation in NZ in April/May, especially if you have your own car.

The North Island will be warmer than the South Island. Its autumn (fall) here and as it is getting a little cooler, a sweater and jacket should be fine. Weather, as any where can be unpredictable. It could snow in the South Island, and then again it could be warm.
You'll have a great time as NZ is a beautiful country. Enjoy it!